User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Westlake ad corrected size
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

GOING OUT OF BUSINESS...

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Robby the Roofer

The company I work for called an impromptu Team Leader meeting this morning.....they are shutting thier doors for good. All the work I accomplished and pay earned over the last week and a half will not be paid to me. We cleaned out our company rigs, turned in our keys and gas cards and left. Now I am headed to the umemployment line.>>>

March 10, 2009 at 2:12 p.m.

Braymer

It is illegal to not pay an hourly the hours s worked. If you have it documented, timecard or anything, that is proof you worked those hours. It is worth your time and should not cost you any money to take care of this. Call the labor department, a state labor rep should be able to take this up for you, that is their job. Those butt munchers knew they were closing down and sprung this on you after years of service. This was done to me ONCE also, and I got my money. Get your money, it is yours. Good luck to you. Also, whenever I was on enemploymenT, I somehow made way more money in the end, maybe all those lttle side jobs for um.....cash helped... Be well .>>>

March 6, 2009 at 11:39 p.m.

Alba

$541 a week unemployment is good.$255 is the max in Alabama.>>>

March 5, 2009 at 10:11 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

"wywoody"....I am about 4 hrs drive round trip through the I-5 corridor, thats a tank of gas every two days for me. Its been 4 yrs since I had to put gas into to my own rig.

"hatchemen"....Good news, I can scale down my bills as It is not neccesary to keep them and ride the U.I. out until July...June and January seems to be a slow months, a trend for roofing in this area. ....Bad news, savings will be wiped out in about 1 1/2 months and After working 14 yrs in the biz and working my way off the roof, I am back where I started. I have a larger family to support and security right now is more important to me. Roofing is an expensive job and without gauranteed full time work, it will be a chess match until I have been checkmated!>>>

March 5, 2009 at 6:56 p.m.

hatchetman

Sorry for the bad news or is this good news. Not sure with your last post---------------------H>>>

March 5, 2009 at 5:47 p.m.

wywoody

How far is Vancouver (WA) from you, Robby. Are you within day labor range?>>>

March 5, 2009 at 9:28 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

There is always a place for experienced and quality roofers, every company needs one and will hire. No one keep me busy though, it is something they can not promise me. That leads to a problem of irregular timecards and more unpaid bills. I am confident that I will be approved for umeployment and I will top out at the max of $541.00 a week. Its four weeks for approval (many applications). Once you get on, it is probably wise to stay on and that is probably what I will do.>>>

March 5, 2009 at 7:16 a.m.

CIAK

I just think it is a responsibility to inform if you believe something. In this case a side effect of The Specter of Doom raising it's ugly head, I am now considering taking the hit from the IRS and cashing out. I don't trust the institutions anymore. This administration is way to able and willing to take what I have earned and give to someone else. Safe savings . I have never felt this nervous about my financials in the hands of others. My confidence in the banking is the lowest in my adult life. JMO I don't want to be made the fool>>>

March 5, 2009 at 6:10 a.m.

Jed

Sorry Robbie, that sucks. I hope things turn around quick for you. We have plenty of work here, shingling, but you would be a long way from home.>>>

March 5, 2009 at 2:16 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

I feel for you man.

Remember, you and the others are out of a weeks worth of pay, but the company just lost their dream.

Nah, that doesn't make you feel any better. I'm sorry for the feeble attempt.

List where you are from and where you are willing to go to work and I am sure someone on here can lead you into something for the time being.

Good Luck and keep on posting brother.

Ed>>>

March 5, 2009 at 12:38 a.m.

OLE Willie

Hey Rob! It just rained like crazy here last week and i'm smothered in repair work. More replacements coming in also. We had like 5-6 inches of rain in one day followed by 4 inches of snow the next and now the temps are warming into the 70's. lol What part of the world are you in?>>>

March 4, 2009 at 9:54 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I live in Washington state, we have usually been insulated from the rest of the county from the downward economy and I guess it is now our turn to endure the down turn.>>>

March 4, 2009 at 9:47 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I am not on any commision...work for an hourly rate in the repair division. I relized that I will spend more money, time and effort just to try and get what is owed to me. The real heart breaker here is that the warranty repair that I started on Tuesday I could not complete as the company did not provide me with enough material for the scope of work. I intended to go today to complete, now the doors are shut and the customer has no warranty anymore.

This company was in business for 22 yrs. They were trying to survive on credit as long as they could banking on the economy to turn.>>>

March 4, 2009 at 8:19 p.m.

The FNRUFR

I was thinking that solar panel thing wood be a pretty good gig with all the GREENbuilding and bs. good luck!>>>

March 4, 2009 at 7:04 p.m.

Mike H

So sorry to hear. This is going to weed out a lot of people, and those of us carrying big overheads are sweating it. If you have big overhead, and operate on a line-of-credit, you're probably sweating blood.

From what you wrote on the "what should I do" thread, it sounded like this man kept the doors open as long as he possibly could, and was probably very pained by the decisions he was being forced to make.

May you land on both feet.>>>

March 4, 2009 at 7:03 p.m.

CIAK

This brings up an interesting subject in my mind. What is it that you are doing to save money in your bills and business activities ? I have done a lot of personnel things . I have tried to explained in other post and critisized by the media is causing the problems crowd. I just switched my phone line over to a product called OOMA. Now I make all my calls through the Internet on a regular phone and forward to my cell when I'm away all long distance calls are free . My next project is going to a dry DSL line. The move to OOMA saves me about $ 80.00 bucks a month. How do you feel about it now if you are facing going out of business or losing a job ? What can you do to help us save money and keep the same or better services ?>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 - Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO