By MFM Building Products.
2021 marked the 60th anniversary for MFM Building Products. The company, founded in 1961, celebrated the longevity and legacy of their company, but their corporate headquarters have existed for nearly twice as long! The Eldridge-Higgins Building that MFM calls home is a historic building on the National Registry of historic places. With MFM’s Expansion Project in 2021 marking their 60th anniversary, new offices in the main headquarters building were constructed and a new, state-of-the-art Research & Development laboratory was added to the historic site MFM calls home.
The Eldridge and Higgins Company purchased land in 1904 to construct a wholesale grocery warehouse. The location at 525 Orange Street, Coshocton, Ohio, was situated on two rail lines, which was advantageous at that time to readily move commerce.
The architects of the project were Richards, McCarty & Bulford, from Columbus, Ohio. That firm was named by the General Service Administration as one of the “preeminent” architectural firms and a number of the firm’s works are listed on the National Register of Historical places. The Higgins Building was a three story, all brick structure, with a basement level.
After seventeen years serving as a grocery warehouse, the building was turned into a manufacturing facility, and also served as a warehouse for a variety of local companies.
MFM purchased the building in 1966 due to its turn-of-the-century construction. The walls are solid brick; 24 inches thick at the basement level. MFM made several renovations to the facility to meet the needs of the growing company. All the renovations were done to preserve the integrity of the original structure.
The first floor of the building contains MFM corporate offices and the balance has been used as warehouse space. In 2021, as part of the MFM Expansion Project, the second floor was converted to include additional offices, a state-of-the-art research and development laboratory, employee training area and records room.
The Eldridge & Higgins Building, called the Higgins Building by MFM, was listed on the National Register of Historical Places on August 6, 1998. A bronze plaque near the front entrance of the building is in recognition of the craftsmen who constructed the original building in 1904.
MFM has retained the Eldridge-Higgins Building’s integrity of location, design, materials, craftsmanship, setting, feeling and association.
Original article source: MFM Building Products