English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

why are shingle prices still high??? Oil has been down for a while!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Tim OK

At least the prices have stabilized so everyone is in the same boat. However when we had a back log of work and they increased the price at least 10% every month it made it difficult. Wouldn't it be nice if the prices came down and we made a little extra>>>

January 9, 2009 at 2:39 p.m.

hatchetman

I cant remember when shingle prices ever went down; after they get you paying it. Been contracting since 1982; maybe i just have bad memory. I just hope prices level off as to not eat up the profits. The '08 roofing season for us here in Northern Illinois was record sales; record material costs; below average equip purchases and record low profits. Lost more than a few jobs due to the material increases. Tough sell trying to get more loot after a couple of increaces; ate it most times. '08 will go down as one of the toughest years for me. Now just trying to survive this nasty Winter; relax; have a few cold ones and look forward to the upcoming roofing season. >>>

January 9, 2009 at 1:58 p.m.

Roofsrus1

We are still in the roof contracting business but in order to survive in some of these domestic markets, one must venture forth with better niche marketing efforts in order to pay the freight. Anything and everything pertaining to the exterior of a home: from gutters to window replacements, chimney repair to siding repair, etc. Whatever it takes but I still love roofing, residential shingle roofs are what we do best.>>>

January 7, 2009 at 7:53 a.m.

Jed

If the BamBamMan puts his economic stimulus road building, bridge building, programme into action then asphalt is gonna keep going up so don't expect too much of a break on anything at all.>>>

January 7, 2009 at 5:31 a.m.

Roof Doctors USA

johnnya - We are the watch dog. Too bad we are usually asleep. :(>>>

January 7, 2009 at 5:28 a.m.

speedy

Is there a watch dog on the manufacturer's? Any organizations that monitor shingle prices and make sure there is not any gouging going on?>>>

January 1, 2009 at 3:54 p.m.

Roofsrus1

The shingle manufacturers have been in hog heaven for the last two years. GOOD TIMING-maybe they can suffer a little and drop the prices back lower before they all kill the goose that lays the golden egg.>>>

January 1, 2009 at 9:25 a.m.

Pot Gregory

At present 25 yr 3 tabs have moved from 71 to 65 a square, 30 yr Dims holding strong at 79.>>>

December 25, 2008 at 5:23 p.m.

RABOIN

Supply and demand baby. There is a big supply now and no demand to speak of so they should drop. On the other hand, there is no demand so no reason for anyone to drop prices. They are not selling anyway. When the demand goes up (in the spring) I belie>>>

December 25, 2008 at 11:05 a.m.

phil lynott

They tell us here in Tampa that in January they are going to come down. We are now $20 SQ less than we were at the peak of their high prices but still 40% higher than prices at te beginning of the year.>>>

December 25, 2008 at 5:02 a.m.

mortilandan

Ok, who makes the none bitumen shingle? I think it Cornnell, not much used up here. never the less it has no oil based prodoct.>>>

December 25, 2008 at 4:58 a.m.

mortilandan

I think Jeff makes a good point.>>>

December 25, 2008 at 4:53 a.m.

mortilandan

Hey John. I'm so with you, i'v signed up clients last season, and i've gotten hit with the situation, my profit margin, if there is going to be one is minamul, you are so right drop the freak'n price...i priced out my estimates at the going rate i sho>>>

December 24, 2008 at 7:43 p.m.

robert

The prices will not come down till one manufacture starts cutting the others throats,the price increase is blamed on an asphalt shortage not oil prices.With only Louisiana and Texas doing any signifcant amout of roofing i believe they will be cutting each>>>

December 24, 2008 at 5:24 p.m.

iggy69

I think the prices are so high because there is still a large inventory of shingles sitting in the wearhouses that were produced when the price of oil was still over $100 a barrel. They must sell off all of that inventory before prices come down>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - 3x Points - June
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)