English
English
Español
Français

User Access

AEP Span - Sidebar - Rollformer -  March
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What techonolgy (being tools, materials, softwares, etc) has made your job easier in the past few years and what technology, if any, has made it harder?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

What techonolgy (being tools, materials, softwares, etc) has made your job easier in the past few years and what technology, if any, has made it harder?>>>

December 5, 2009 at 7:36 p.m.

ElPasoEric

Internet based filing systems.....by a long shot.

We have developed our own in-house program, abilities similar to quick books online (view, edit and print all financial information from any computer on the net) but also includes some tools that are much the same as Xactimate. On top of that we input all our customer information including all paperwork scans (proposals, invoices, warranties, receipts for materials used, etc...) and even work photos into the system and any of our field techs or even our secretary can pull up all of the info with just the ability to access the internet.

We were even thinking of marketing our tools as roofing software (the closest comparison I can think of is like chronicle - a reference for you big stormers) but it seems to have so much more functionality as I just implimented a new proposal maker, inter-office memo, some features to send out reminder notices for warranty endings and service reminders, and with our in-house ability to program changes ourselves it has become such a useful tool it would be a shame to give it out. Besides that I am not too sure how xactimate keeps suppliers pricing up to date for various regions of the world so our pricing guides and estimate calculators are really only good for el paso.

November 9, 2009 at 8:38 a.m.

elcid

In the 80 s, we purchased a Troxler nuclear device. to locate wet areas on BUR, namely for large areas. With this tool, we were able to pinpoint problems, and provide accurate information for our customers on the extent of the damage. We were able to provide economic solutions, and minimize the amount of tearoff required. However, the only downside for providing this service, was the unending paperwork and regulations required by the Atomic Energy Commission plus the yearly fees, which ultimately caused us to quit this activity. There are firms that specialize in this service year round, and I respectfully suggest that the industry use these sophisticated tools to enhance their competitive positions.

November 8, 2009 at 11:23 a.m.

soldierboy

roofersworld,

We currently use shingo tear off shovels. Designed like the red ripper. Maybe we will pick one up and see if there is a difference. Anything that will make it easier for our guys I'd be willing to invest in. We are usually the first roofing company to have new technology at our fingertips. Some we like and some are worthless.

Soldierboy

November 2, 2009 at 11:12 a.m.

roofersworld

Soldier Boy, Have you been using the Red Ripper - designed to reduce tear off time by 30% and decrease back strain? Check it out at http://www.roofersworld.com/redripper.htm. Buy it at suppliers like Bradco and ABC Supply in USA and Home Hardware and Roofmart in Canada. Contact orderdesk@roofersworld.com for more information on locating a distributor.

Make roofing easier and safer: Adapt-a-Bracket Red Ripper Extreme Bracket

www.roofersworld.com

November 1, 2009 at 8:16 p.m.

brandon0805

Well ,on the work part I'd have to say its mostly all the same when your putting on the roof,but I hope I'm retired when every tear off has ice and water shield.

October 18, 2009 at 11:43 p.m.

Mike H

A Palm Treo made my life so much better.

A switch in cell providers, and the blasted blackberry they made me change to has created havoc.

October 14, 2009 at 10:53 a.m.

Oorah

First and foremost, signing up for Quickbooks online about 5 years ago was almost as good as throwing away all my hand written ledgers/invoice/quote/payroll/etc., etc. books. Definately a must to at least check out, plus it update/s everything for you automatically and you can get on your books from any computer with internet.

As far as materials, Tubos is the best time and money saving roof product I have ever found. It is fairly new and as far as I know still primarily in Forida. According to my Bradco and ABC rep. You have to check it out if you do any commercial flat re-roofs. It is a quick and cheap way to extend all the plumbing vent stacks. I had a consultant who showed all of us at a prebid meeting about a month ago. Definately check it out, www.tubos.biz

October 12, 2009 at 8:17 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

TOOLS: Palm nailer...to nail where a gun can't and a hand nail fits nicely in the palm nailer. I know it has been around for awhile, but it is the framers who use those tools.

Office: Digital camera with easy picture transfer....ten years ago, it was polaroids.

On the road: Garmin navigation...I call her "lola"!

October 12, 2009 at 7:13 p.m.

Old School

I type my estimates on the computer. That is a big upgrade from haveing them typed by a secratary, because I can put everything into my own words. That and pictures on a digital camera. I am still amazed by that.

October 10, 2009 at 12:36 a.m.

egg

Photoshop Lithium ion batteries Web access to a huge array of information Cell phones Diamond blade technology improvements

Harder? Mortgage broker software.

October 8, 2009 at 8:18 p.m.

Mike M.

No doubt, Quickbooks customer data base , and Quickbooks payroll, Quickbooks for contractors. Also, our web site, multiple cell phones with walkie talkie ability. Also, I am sure there will be more to come in the near future.

October 7, 2009 at 10:38 a.m.

KensingtonRoofing

Sarah Said: What techonolgy (being tools, materials, softwares, etc) has made your job easier in the past few years and what technology, if any, has made it harder?

Xactimate for sure.

October 3, 2009 at 10:02 p.m.

dougger222

The one thing that has made my job easier and much more profitable doing insurance work has been Xactimate.

October 2, 2009 at 8:16 p.m.

soldierboy

We have embraced computer technology! The internet has made our jobs over the years become much easier. Homeowners are amazed that while you are talking with them setting there estimate times, you ask them if there house is the one with yellow siding or the white one with the two car garage in the back.. Just google maps. I have perfected my own excel spreadsheets that help me from my bidding process, call backs, job profitability to making sure I send out a thank you card. There's also a program that our BNI network showed us that works over the net to do a follow up letter, a thank you letter, and once a year on that homeowners annivarsary date it sends out a just checking card. This has retained peoples family's as the references keep on coming! Quickbooks makes the life in the office a dream. As long as everything is put in correctly.. CertainTeed's Select Shingle Roofers program has helped educate our teams and there brochures help in the estimating portion of our business. The best thing that has helped in estimating is the use of Notebook computers. Our trucks are outfitted with a laptop, a printer, and all the liturater they need to close deals.

For the crews what has helped is the use of our supply company. They are outfitted with boom trucks and have two or three people in the truck. When the shingles are being delivered our crews don't stop to help, that in itself has saved there backs and labor hours as the delivery cost is $45-60 and truly does save in the long run. Synthetic underlayments have helped with areas of concern on jobsites. The use of a pnuematic felt tacker has saved us thousands of dollars in labor. We now have only dump trailers that attach to our F-250's and our super heavy duty trucks. No need for two drivers. Cell phones with cameras have made it easier for our crew leaders to keep management update/d with job progress and any problems that may arise. We use tear-off shovels designed to be less backbreaking than pitch forks of yesteryear. Unfortunatly, roofing will always be hard physical work.

Technology has also made it easier for the low-ball bidder. IE: Websites that are designed so well that it truly looks like a brick and mortar company is somewhere, makes it look like they are paying there workers compensation bill, makes it look very appealing to the homeowner. OR and I hate to say this: Websites that give them viable leads, lead generation services.

In the long run, we will survive from our own ads, retention of whole family's for there referals, The use of Networking with others, and a website..

:P

September 25, 2009 at 4:45 p.m.

FOOFMAX

when i first started i didnt have but now have which took me from the stone age cell phones. rapid roof remover. equipter rb 4000 roofers buggy. nail guns. ladder hoist.dump trailor.i am thank full for the help. :)

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LP Building Solutions - Banner Ad - Remodlers Edge
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad