Français

User Access

EVERROOF - Sidebar - Podcast Training - Dec 2023
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Underlayment for roofs

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Randy3

What and which one will pass for a 3/12 pitch mobile home

August 13, 2020 at 2:48 a.m.

Jasonwhite

Roofing underlayment is a water-resistant or waterproof barrier material that is installed directly onto your roof deck. It is applied under all other roofing materials as an added layer of protection from severe weather. 3 basic types are asphalt-saturated felt; rubberized asphalt; and non-bitumen synthetic. Roof restorations company use all of these according to the demand of the property owner.

June 19, 2020 at 5:57 a.m.

peterbivens2434

Coating your roof is equally as important as roof underlayment. To ensure your roof stays weatherproof all year round, take care of it and reach out to EPDM Coatings.

April 9, 2014 at 5:40 p.m.

tarstrip

seen-it-all Said:
tarstrip Said:
Randy Said: What and which one will pass for a 3/12 pitch mobile home
Ice and water guard on the entire roof deck then install felt paper or synthetic underlayment over the ice and water guard to prevent the shingles from fusing to the ice and water.That is unless you could care less about the next guy who has to replace your roof.

Well Im going to be 60 this year and I predict that most of my work will last 25 years so I put the ice and water onto the plywood and shingle over that. It will make for good entertainment in my final years to watch some crew tear it off. I can wobble over with my cane and say I remember installing this roof back in 14 Will they beat an old man? :woohoo:

HaHa! That's a good way to look at it!

April 7, 2014 at 6:53 p.m.

seen-it-all

tarstrip Said:
Ice and water guard on the entire roof deck then install felt paper or synthetic underlayment over the ice and water guard to prevent the shingles from fusing to the ice and water.That is unless you could care less about the next guy who has to replace your roof.

Well I'm going to be 60 this year and I predict that most of my work will last 25 years so I put the ice and water onto the plywood and shingle over that. It will make for good entertainment in my final years to watch some crew tear it off. I can wobble over with my cane and say "I remember installing this roof back in '14" Will they beat an old man? :woohoo:

April 6, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

Still lovin the pain

I double up on 30# and weave. unless its steep, then double 30 and valley metal.

March 30, 2014 at 6:31 p.m.

natty

clover83 Said: Do you guys line the valley w/ 90#?

90# is totally past. Haven't used it in 25 years.

I first line the valley with 12" creased metal for support- then underlayment and finally tarco valley flash which is like the ice and water shield but without the self stickum and much cheaper.

March 30, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

clvr83

You curse.

Depends on how smooth the leftovers are and how many times you stab the decking trying to tear it up. Do you guys line the valley w/ 90#?

March 30, 2014 at 4:53 p.m.

natty

tarstrip Said: Ice and water guard on the entire roof deck then install felt paper or synthetic underlayment over the ice and water guard to prevent the shingles from fusing to the ice and water.That is unless you could care less about the next guy who has to replace your roof.

We don't use much ice and water guard in North Texas, but for those who have, what do you do on a tear off with all of this self adhered stuff? Do you just roof over it, replace the decking, or does it come off the decking?

March 29, 2014 at 11:31 p.m.

Lefty1

Lay a tarp over the felt to keep the dew off and it will not wrinkle.

March 29, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

tarstrip

March 24, 2014 at 7:41 p.m.

Chuck2

And if you have to replace any rotted osb decking, be sure to put the slick side DOWN! ;)

March 24, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

natty

If you are like most roof applicators, just throw on some cheap No. 15. The shingles will cover it up and no one will know the difference.

But if you are a roofing professional, you may want to read the shingle manufacturer requirements and use a minimum No. 15 felt underlayment DOUBLE COVERAGE for low slope application- that is, 17 inch exposure laps for 36 inch rolls (not 2 layers, one on top of the other). Now if you are a production roofer and can shingle what you tore off in one day, that's fine. But, if you have to leave the underlayment exposed to any moisture it will wrinkle and ruin. So, you may want to up grade to a synthetic underlayment which is much more expensive and will withstand any moisture without deterioration. Just use the same double coverage for low slopes.

March 24, 2014 at 6:20 p.m.

egg

Assuming we are trying to be thorough, let's not leave out the SBS underlayments, the HDPE films with a butyl back like Grace Ultra, or the old Nicolet asbestos felts we once had to use w/wood systems.

I always keep some asphalt/glass Roofer Select on hand for the rare 3-tab job I don't want distortions on or anything telegraphing through.

Speaking of little pieces, every now and then we tear off an old one that had paper strips instead of mylar on the back of the shingles to keep them from sticking in the bundle. Those things relentlessly fly loose and flutter everywhere. You try to pick them up and they crumble up into pieces of pieces. Makes doing a professional clean-up a complete drag. They pile up like leaves but they are just so wrong.

March 24, 2014 at 8:12 a.m.

Chuck2

If your tearing off a shingle roof on a mobile home just cross your fingers and hope they didn't use the old cardboard paper type stuff for underlayment. The last few I roofed did and the stuff tears all into little pieces. You'll need a leaf rake to get the crap off and cleaned up. Yuk Yuk. :huh:

March 24, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

TomB

Things may have changed, however, not sure if applicable standard building codes apply to mobile homes. Possibly things changed with the advent of IBC/IRC.

Anyhow - There was a long-lost application, that got misconstrued/interpreted somewhere down the line/many years ago, regarding low-slope shingle application, (2:12 - less than 4:12), which transformed from shingle double-coverage to underlayment double coverage.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

EagleView Assess -  Banner Ad - Visualizer
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Polyglass - Sidebar - PolyAnchor - April 2024
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad