Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
AEP Span - Sidebar - Rollformer -  March
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Solar is going to become an important part of our industry. What have you done to prepare? Have you done installations, training or research?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

Solar is going to become an important part of our industry. What have you done to prepare? Have you done installations, training or research?>>>

September 14, 2009 at 1:32 a.m.

EcoRoofer

I am currently working on learning as much about adhesive backed PV panels that get wired through the ridge and stick directly to metal panels or PVC systems. I have recently started working with dedicated "solar" guys and it has been an interesting trade experience...a bit different but I am excited to continue to expand my knowledge of all available systems and services.

www.vuetoviewroofs.com>>>

September 8, 2009 at 1:35 a.m.

egg

I know a lot of people who want it but don't have the site to make it worthwhile. I also know a growing number of people who are now completely off the grid and loving every minute of it. And I know some people who are on solar and hooked to the grid who are getting their electricity now for free. This is P(hoto) V(oltaic) generating. Then there is water heating which has been a real boon for people with swimming pools. Tried and proven. You have to have good sun location to make any of it worthwhile. For roofers, the drawback (at least in my area) is to effect the installations you need to either be or have a partnership going with a licensed electrician. Otherwise you are just a lackey doing the hard part of the installation (interfacing with roofing materials) for very little reward. It can truly be nothing more than a PITA. Time may prove JW right, but I seriously doubt it. Once power costs rise again, or rise relative to earning power, the impulse to use it will prove irresistible. The technology continues to improve and we seem to love technology. I consider the height of solar technology and comfort to be a nap in a hammock in the shade on a hot day.>>>

September 7, 2009 at 9:22 p.m.

JWilliams

I believe that Willie. In my opinion, it had it's up and downs but all in all i believe its pretty much a lost cause.>>>

September 6, 2009 at 2:32 p.m.

OLE Willie

I read an article yesterday about making your home more energy efficient. It said a $30 shower head would save you more money than $3,000 worth of solar panels. :unsure:>>>

September 4, 2009 at 5:54 a.m.

Spudder

I have worked with solar since the late 70's everything from hot water heaters to spas and swimming pools, I have experimented with solar tile from Austria back in the early 70's, I used to sell and install passive and non passive systems. In order for me to continue into the solar phase along with our residential roofing I would have to get a State license, however just when we were getting ready we decided to get out of the residential business and stick strictly with commercial flat work. I completed several hotel solar systems for their swimming pools but later on the jacklegs started to enter the game and the prices were not the best. B)>>>

August 28, 2009 at 6:00 p.m.

egg

They're putting them up here like mad. fyi, the easiest access to money is the tax refund which is currently good through all of next year, at the very least. I'm upgrading windows in my home for that very reason. The integrated tiles, comp, etc. are still not cost-effective imo. Business property owners are into it BIGTIME.>>>

August 27, 2009 at 11:22 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

There does not seem to be much interest from our local roofing distributers, from my experience, the panels that were purchased for the jobs I installed were diect from the manufacturer. It would also seem to be too costly for the roofing distributers to keep such (now) expensive products in thier yard.

Hiring an electrician to install inverters and such and wire everything up is not too difficult.

Here are the real problems that one would face: 1. You will have to get the local PUD to pre-insp, install a new meter (allows electricity to flow back into the PUD system) then final insp for a proper working unit. Although red-tapish (my new word), this seems to be the fastest yet takes several weeks to accomplish.

2. Although the PUD may cover several cities, towns, etc....each municipality have thier own seperate red tape to dive through. Larger cities have mapped out this process pretty decently, but most of my jobs were out in the "boonies", which becomes the first project of its kind for these towns. They do not know anything about solar, almost every official have little or no education on the product. a. You provide specs b. Provide all the education materials c. They will go through the process to verify all that you have provided d. Pre-insp, final insp e. Upon insp, if they find something amiss (usually they are not understanding something....which they will not admit to), they will halt what they are doing and hobble back to thier office to re-educate themselves leaving you at a stanstill and waiting for another insp.

Most jobs I installed were 9 panel packages (very expensive) with room to grow if they wanted to add more. The largest that I have installed were an 18 panel package on a tile roof. I also set up a 5 panel starter package on an IB roof, Installed and capped enough posts to add another 22 panels >>>

August 27, 2009 at 8:30 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

I find articles and I find general information and I find interest on the internet, but the suppliers need to act on this and get the efficiency for processing the paperwork done in a stream-lined process.

The Government, in their typical suffocation with too much information manner, has stifled the initial interest that seemed to build up when the Stimulus Package merits were first announced.

Create a list of everything that applies and an Easy Button to get the certifications from the manufacturers to get it passed on to the consumer purchasing the end product, so they don't have to spend a day with their personal accountant to figure out how to get the rebates claimed.

I personally went through the 116 page manual that listed all roofing products and condensed it down to what the majority of roofing contractors supply and install, which is regular asphalt/fiberglass composition shingles, but the ones that are rated seem to be priced in a different stratosphere and are either special order or not available yet.

What about the certification process for commonly used products, such as the various Ridge Venting Products?

I was speaking with Paul Scelsi from Air Vent Corporation last fall and their own products, such as the Shingle Vent II, is not listed nor qualifies yet.

Why? The lack of utilizing any energy to provide such a key piece in the ventilation puzzle seems like a No-Brainer to me, so what is the hold up?

Will it come down to a mandatory regulation and certification process similar to the new Lead Paint regulations?

They put the cart before the Ox once again. With the lead Paint regulations coming into play, there will be seminars for a substantial fee, just to operate legitimately and keep on doing what the Right Thing is to do, yet, they provide more obstacles in the path to succeed with their implementation of their new energy plan.

Even a simplified Webinar, created specific to the various trades affected could provide a keen insight into what and how to proceed on an energy sustainable path in regards to the services that we provide.

So, someone who even has a financial incentive to market their products for the Energy Efficient consumer should forge ahead and think a bit ahead of the Government and prepare the contractors that could potentially utilize their wares with that type of educational programming available at no cost on the front end. They will surely make up for it when the sales cycle comes back and purchases their products due to the knowledge on how to market and sell the items.

Look at Certainteed and Air Vent for example.

Both of those entities have low or no cost educational resources and not only do contractors wind up inevitably buying more of their products, but the psychological insinuation being construed, is that companies like that and the products they market, are considered as the higher quality image perception items as compared to the companies who have no intellectual advancement for their buying parties. Additionally, those companies are then perceived as the Experts in their particular fields for purveying the information along to those that can put it to good use.

Who will step up to the forefront and be the Solar and Energy vendor that leads the pack for us to follow and embrace?

Ed

>>>

August 26, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I have installed solar panels on five roofs in the last year and a half....the tough thing for me is listening to the homeoner brag how they will be paying less on thier electric bill. While at the same time, dropping 20-40 g's for the panels that will take 20+ years to break evan.

>>>

August 26, 2009 at 7:02 a.m.

wywoody

About a year ago I checked in to solar roof tiles that could interlock with existing roofing tiles. Customer demand for it has been zero. I haven't even had a chance to say "For only $4,000 I can give you a system that will provide enough power that you will never again have to pay to charge your cell phone.">>>

August 26, 2009 at 6:43 a.m.

Jed

We've danced around this issue before. Solar is not going anywhere in this country for a number of reasons not least of which is the objections to yet another alternative energy source by the power companies. The main reason though is the huge initial expense by the homeowner for little short term reward. Re-imbursement to home owners from the government? No, not as long as they are in the corporate pocket.>>>

August 25, 2009 at 11:47 p.m.

OLE Willie

I cant even get anyone to buy a new skylight. They want the black mammy smeared around the old one instead even though they cant even see through it anymore! lol>>>

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 - Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

McCormack Succession and Exit Planning - Sidebar Register
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23