Français

User Access

IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
AEP Span - Sidebar - Rollformer -  March
EVERROOF - Sidebar - Podcast Training - Dec 2023
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Shingle Removal Question...

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

manbearpig

Some of you may have seen my post about the 230+ feet of step and counter flashing I have to replace.

How do you guys go about getting dimensional shingles apart without damage? I usually use a flat bar....but to be honest with you, I have never had to t>>>

December 1, 2008 at 11:57 a.m.

A-T-T

barrett knife? >>>

December 1, 2008 at 6:47 a.m.

Emeril Lagasse

If the flat bar does not work.....Then use a 6" wide putty knife (6" wide metal blade with a wooden handle) work the blade in at an angle while at the same time tapping the handle with your hammer. Keep the blade level or you will slice right through e>>>

November 29, 2008 at 12:00 a.m.

RABOIN

What is wrong with a good old big foot tear off bar and a couple of helpers. You can have that sucker torn off in an hour or two. Now, putting it back together again....>>>

November 27, 2008 at 1:25 p.m.

kgrampp

it is just time consuming. maybe you will be lucky and they didn't nail near the step flashing you might not even have to take them out.....i am doubting thats the case but ya never know ....good luck>>>

November 26, 2008 at 3:21 p.m.

Hilite

I've found hot direct sunlight is the best time to pull shingles apart without cracking/breaking.

A pry bar and a hammer will be the best tools.

My gutter guy did gutters on a roof with O/C's recently and said the shingles were only a year old and if>>>

November 26, 2008 at 11:33 a.m.

tinner666

I prefer the Malco I=Beam Rouster bar to flat bars. My smallest flat bar is 4"x4"x5/8'thick and I use it to seam panels. My largest is 6"x20'x1"thick.:) What I do when necessary is take a self[igniting torch and a round mod-bit trowel on the roof.>>>

November 26, 2008 at 4:21 a.m.

johnw

Don't know about the OC variety. Sometimes these lightweight laminate suckers are not just sealed, they are fused. Do as much sideways and downward splitting as possible. Sharpen your flat bar. I use an Estwing flatbar for this and I keep it sharp.>>>

November 26, 2008 at 4:05 a.m.

A-T-T

Cold water and then a flat bar.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SOPREMA -   Banner Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand) New Design
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Buesiness Accelerator Roundtables