User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Increase Your Revenue - Ad 1
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Ice and water question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

rockee12

I'm a PM and have a crew doing a roof. Hopefully I can get some answers to these questions, and please don't say "ask your roofer", since I want your answers.

The roof is a 7 pitch and planning to run 3 ft of ice and water along each long side. Shoul>>>

November 16, 2008 at 10:15 p.m.

tinner666

Sorry I didn't word it well. Egg did; "At the bottom eave (as opposed to the rakes) if you're going to sandwich a drip edge between one narrow and one full-width layer of I&W, why not follow basic roofing technique and put the full on the top so there>>>

November 16, 2008 at 5:58 p.m.

johnw

TRG, you said, "...if no dripedge,we leave 1" at the rake-never a problem" That is a fact and glad to hear you say it. GAF is trying to cut off the bull's horns (and other things anatomical parts) with a PR blitz that says otherwise. I find GAF>>>

November 16, 2008 at 4:42 p.m.

rockee12

I'm confused. Are you saying take an 8" strip of Ice and Water at "bottom" near fascia, then Drip Edge, than a 3' piece of Ice and Water over the Drip Edge, or are you saying place 3' of Ice and Water, then Drip Edge at bottom, than 6" strip of dri>>>

November 15, 2008 at 8:15 p.m.

tinner666

River Rat Dad wrote: [quote]Do you have codes that dictate anything with respect to ice shield? In MI the code requires ice shield at the eve to a point 24" inside an exterior wall. That often means more than 3 feet here. If an open front porch is>>>

November 15, 2008 at 7:23 p.m.

Ralph

Do you have codes that dictate anything with respect to ice shield? In MI the code requires ice shield at the eve to a point 24" inside an exterior wall. That often means more than 3 feet here. If an open front porch is 6 feet deep for instance you would>>>

November 15, 2008 at 6:58 p.m.

tinner666

"Apply 8" drip OVER the Ice and water at eaves and gable ends."

If you put the 8" strip on first, then the DE, then the 3' piece, there isn't a seam. Rakes?? Sounds OK to me. I don't bother.>>>

November 15, 2008 at 4:31 p.m.

rockee12

Here is my original post: I'm a PM and have a crew doing a roof. Hopefully I can get some answers to these questions, and please don't say "ask your roofer", since I want your answers.

The roof is a 7 pitch and planning to run 3 ft of ice and water a>>>

November 15, 2008 at 1:32 p.m.

builderr

I am not sure about the introduction of Grace Ice & Water Shield nationally, but as far as their Bithuthene product line...bituthene 3000 was a .060 mil product used more as a seperator. In 1974,My specific use for it was to wrap some 12x12 structrual>>>

November 15, 2008 at 1:21 p.m.

tinner666

This is a good one. As you can see, I&S was used and will last forever, or nearly so. This is a fairly new installation. >>>

November 15, 2008 at 1:07 p.m.

A-T-T

Egg - Nice drawing.

TRG - Are shingle roofs still being installed by some with staples? What makes 15# felt more breathable than 30# felt?>>>

November 15, 2008 at 12:56 p.m.

tinner666

The valley in the previous post and this picture are of 12" materal. No hemmed edges, no cleats, no caulk, no I&S, no felt under the valleys. Look at the water tracks. Even though we often get 20" of snow in one storm, and tropical rains at times, see h>>>

November 15, 2008 at 12:53 p.m.

Ralph

[quote]by the way...I have been using Ice & water shield (Bithuthene) since 1974, so it's not a new product, comparatively speaking.

Grace brought out their product in 1978 and I thought they were the first in the market. At least they were in m>>>

November 15, 2008 at 12:47 p.m.

tinner666

Well put egg and TRG. I've never bothered with a sealant. I have sandwiched DE with I&S.

Jeff. When I was doing lots of shingles and reps were at the shop weekly for Tamko, GAF>>

November 15, 2008 at 4:52 a.m.

johnw

TRG, we don't have any disagreement about the sealant that I can see. Also, your treatment at the lower eaves is exemplary imo. Bullet-proof actually.

Nice post builderr.

Jed, I don't see I&W as an all-or-nothing proposition. Upgrading from a single>>>

November 15, 2008 at 3:41 a.m.

A-T-T

TRG - I've never heard about the baking thing. I like 30# felt because it doesn't tear as easily as 15#. Also, it would allow me to differentiate myself from the competition not unlike guys claiming that hand nailing is better then gun nailing. It's>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Emulate
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Polyglass - Sidebar - ADESO + FRSA - May 24
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
RoofSnap - Sidebar - Gutter Measurements
FRSA - Sidebar Ad - FRSA Expo 2024