English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Gutter Sizing Calculator

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clublaugh

Does anyone know of a good online calculator for determining the correct size of gutters and downspouts? I was looking at the tables in my sheet metal books and thinking how much easier it would be to enter the variables on my computer and get the answer...yes the lazy days of summer are here B)>>>

June 21, 2009 at 11:48 p.m.

clublaugh

Thanks everyone, Ed that is the same info I use for calculations- I was just wondering if anyone had simplified it to the point of entering roof area and rainfall intensity etc. and getting an automatic calculation. >>>

June 20, 2009 at 10:34 a.m.

elcid

When I was serving as a draftsman for a local A/E. our engineers were doing developmental work in concert w/ the Josam Company, on RWC s for dead level or flat roofs. As I recall, physical location, rain intensity, etc. were among the variables considered. It was interesting work, that saved the building owners lots of money, for the reduced flow velocity enabled smaller and fewer outlets. On the rain sewer alone the standard pipe size according to existing codes was 60", howeever. w/ the new design a 48" pipe was used. (The pipe length was about 600 ft.)>>>

June 19, 2009 at 6:10 a.m.

Old School

A lot depends on the type of rain storm you are talking about. On a really severe rainstorm, most gutters will overflow for a bit anyway. The biggest thing is to keep the gutters and downspouts you have clear so the water can flow freely.>>>

June 19, 2009 at 1:33 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

Try this site for sizing and calculations.

http://www.egutter.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.2092/.f

http://www.egutter.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.2092/.f

Also, they have the water table information in the SMACNA Manual.

Ed>>>

June 18, 2009 at 10:13 a.m.

elcid

On a related subject - the sizing of downspouts. The only info I can recall on the subject was published in a Barrett Spec book - and as I remember, it was 150 sq.ft. of area for 1/4 " sloped roof per sq. inch of spout. Insofar as gutters, I don t recall the Revere book or Copper Sense mentioning it, however, w/ standard sizes choice pretty limited.>>>

June 17, 2009 at 6:32 p.m.

Old School

All it has to do is get the water to the ground; and hey, it will eventually get there all by itself! Normally every 40 feet needs a downspout, and the longer the rafters, the bigger the downspout. If the gutters are pitched to the downspout, that will also help get the water to the ground better too.

Have a nice day.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Emulate
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Westlake ad corrected size
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad