English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Ethics, Personal And Business

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Ed The Roofer

Oh, why wait till later to start this ball rolling.....

On another topic, the subject of Ethics came up.

Does a person need a course and guidance to know and do what is ethical?

Or, is the morality of one's upbringing and past experiences the definition of the man/woman?

If a person with suspect ethics to begin with were to take a course in ethics and pass with flying colors, does that automatically make the man a person of moral and ethical platitude?

Just to sort of start it off, my take on this, is doing what needs to be done, when the temptation to choose a different path is readily available, when no one else is looking or aware of the inner resultant decision being played out in your mind.

Politicians and certified organizations have Codes Of Ethics.

Are these COE just a road map for guidance, subjectively available for modification as one justifies it?

When making such ethical adjustments and they are rationalized as still being the right thing to do, is it just that it is right for you and your priorities or is it the right thing that any outsider looking in would also conclude?

What burden should be placed on both the contractor and the consumer regarding a prescribed Standard of Ethics?

The industry wide reputation of contractors in general seems to be clouded with the more blighted viewpoint. Yet, there are all too many voices raised by contractors too, that they are being misaligned and mistreated when it comes to decisions of fair dealings that need to be arbitrated or adjudicated.

What opportunities exist as a united front, can any small group of vocal contractors take, to swing the scales of balance to a more equal footing?

Ed

>>>

March 6, 2009 at 11:41 a.m.

CIAK

Internally implode as I see it. In another country what we do in the area of law morality and ethics are looked at completely different. As weird and wrong as I look upon with contempt , distaste Sharia Law. They look upon our Christian constitution , bill of rights republic form of government, in a very different way than most of us. Very interesting .The Crusades might come to mind . I'm trying to figure out if this makes any sense the way it written.>>>

March 6, 2009 at 11:37 a.m.

T-LOCK TECHNICIAN

WELL SAID Miscreant!!>>>

March 6, 2009 at 11:27 a.m.

Miscreant

Sometimes I see people confusing ethics with honesty. Other times I see businesses declaring what is ethical(which in itself may be unethical).

Here's a real world example: If a roofer tells a customer that felt will be installed when they do the roof job and then doesn't install felt, that is dishonest. If a roofer tells a customer they could save money by not installing felt, it then becomes an ethical question. Those questions are best resolved by a group of the roofing industry's best and brightest. Your actions are then judged ethical or unethical by the standards of that group. You are free not to align yourself with that group.

In the roofing business we don't have traditional ethical standards because we are all too independent. If we all agreed on something we would probably internally combust.>>>

March 5, 2009 at 7:21 a.m.

Pot Gregory

CIAK Said: Jed Would you say humans are born good or evil ( bad )?

Rite off the top of my head i can't quote you scripture and verse rite now Chuck , but somewhere in the Bible it says we come from our mothers womb speaking lies.>>>

March 4, 2009 at 6:13 a.m.

Jed

I would say we are going to hell in a handbasket due to the immoral conduct of the few.................did you hear the news this morning?............the Brits have awarded Ted Kennedy an "honourary knighthood"!! :woohoo: ..................wotta joke.........>>>

March 3, 2009 at 7:02 p.m.

CIAK

Jed Would you say humans are born good or evil ( bad )?>>>

February 28, 2009 at 8:05 a.m.

Jed

ANDY "We only need witness the recent shenanigans on Wall Street" . . . . . .

Good example...........and I'll bet every one of them is an honest, upstanding, church going, god fearin' christian.............

Morals is morals. We all know the difference between right and wrong. Ethics is a personal interpretation of the situation and subsequently a degree of mitigation is involved so there is no fine line and the case can always be argued. From what I can tell, more often than not the mantle of christianity is adopted as a disguise.>>>

February 27, 2009 at 2:57 p.m.

andy

Absent the belief of our accountability to God, we become a law unto ourselves. I believe that, as the Bible teaches, we are sinful by nature. Therefore, we do not instinctively know right from wrong.

"The presence of law is usually the sign of absence of moral behavior."

"Having a moral code that is objective and consistent is necessary for such a system to work. Should each person have the ability to define his or her own "code", order completely falls apart."

Mike Huckabee from Do The Right Thing

We only need witness the recent shenanigans on Wall Street . . . . . .

I do agree that many times a code of ethics is merely a "warm fuzzy" for the consumer. >>>

February 27, 2009 at 8:06 a.m.

johnny5

I think we instinctively know the difference between right and wrong and codes of ethics are fluff. There are many dos and donts and we discuss the grey areas as best we can when the situationa rises or is anticipated ie WWYD? I applaud Mr Moffet and his heroics but believe the officer did the right thing too. Had he not been issued a ticket the driver of the vehicle may have been found to be at fault when he may not be.>>>

February 26, 2009 at 4:28 p.m.

pgriz

Mike, you wrote:

"Government writes laws to define ethical conduct. Government is filled with some of our nations most vile offenders. Lawyers earn their living defending those that break it, and figuring out how to skirt it. Is a Code of Ethics, or a class thereon, of any significant difference?

Those that care will do what's right for reasons within themselves. Those that don't care will make decisions based on dollars alone.

A class won't change it."

I would argue that the government writes laws to define "lawful" conduct, which may or may not actually be ethical. I agree with the rest of your statement. Your last sentence makes me wonder if ethics CAN be taught? Or is it more a case of bring out the latent abilities through appropriate nurturing?>>>

February 26, 2009 at 4:16 p.m.

pgriz

Don't know if "ethical" is appropriate usage here. The jaywalking bylaws are on the books because more people get hurt while jaywalking, than when crossing at the crosswalks. The tickets are there to ensure that people who are tempted to cross in a place other than a crosswalk are dissuaded from doing so. Trooper Sullivan may be within the letter of the law in issuing the ticket, but he sure is outside the spirit of the law. So I would say that his issuing the ticket was an example of lack of common sense, or too much bureaucatitis, as issuing the ticket will have no dissuadive effect on Mr. Moffat helping elderly women.

On the britannica storey, the software writers should consider Issac Asimov's "Three laws of Robotics". Of course, the loop-hole there is the definition of "human" has been rather flexible over the years, with slaves, children and women all being considered "non-human" under the laws at various places and times. The eugenics movement championed a rather narrow definition.

And while we're pondering ethics, consider:

Is it ethical to help someone commit suicide if that person is terminally ill and in great pain?

Is it ethical for a soldier to kill another person?

If you could save only one of two people, is it ethical for you to make the choice?

Is it ethical for a person to disobey a law if they are personally convinced that the law is wrong?

Is it ethical to look the other way when one knows a wrong is being committed?>>>

February 26, 2009 at 11:27 a.m.

CIAK

Here is an interesting story concerning this topic. Was it ethical for the officer to issue the ticket ? DENVER – A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.

Moffett suffered bleeding in the brain, broken bones, a dislocated shoulder and a possible ruptured spleen. He was in serious but stable condition Wednesday.

The Colorado State Patrol issued the citation. Trooper Ryan Sullivan said that despite Moffett's intentions, jaywalking contributed to the accident.

Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Moffett's stepson, Ken McDonald, said the driver of the pickup plowed into his stepfather, but not before Moffett pushed the two women out of the way.

When he awoke in intensive care, he learned of the ticket. "His reaction was dazed and confused. I was a little angry," said McDonald.

The other man also was cited for jaywalking, while the pickup driver was cited with careless driving that led to injury. Sullivan said the two elderly women haven't been cited but the investigation is ongoing. This an interesting story http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2009/02/the-artificial-morality-of-the-robot-warrior/ >>>

February 25, 2009 at 5:25 p.m.

Straight Line

Here's what my grandfather told me:

A business deal is when two people bargain with each other such that each gets something they want. If only one person gets what they want, that is something else ... that is one person taking advantage of another person.

Beyond that, I can't help you.>>>

February 25, 2009 at 9:37 a.m.

JET

JMO but anyone who needs a "course" in ethics or a religion as an excuse (or crutch) for poor morality decisions needs more than I can offer them. You're either a good person or a bad one and if you don't know the difference, again, I can't help you.

JET>>>

February 24, 2009 at 9:16 p.m.

Old School

Wow! Shoot the lawyers and politicialns first. The rest will take care of itself.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MetalForming - Banner Ad - Bend the Future
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos