English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Kool Seal - Sidebar - Sales Rep - May 24
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

THE KETTLE

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Brian

How about, keep the heat in the "Kettle" and keep the social "coffee talk" in the off topic thread?!

[color=#FF0000]Main Entry: ket·tle Pronunciation: ˈke-təl Function: noun Etymology: Middle English ketel, from Old Norse ketill (ak>>>

August 19, 2008 at 4:19 p.m.

roofer2

Agreed. That was the problem with The Kettle...there was no moderation which left room for personal insults when one would disagree with another. It was what it was.

An OT (non-Kettle like) board would definitely unclutter the Roofing Talk board and if>>>

August 19, 2008 at 4:15 p.m.

roofer2

Controversy is relative. :) One man's peace is another man's wrath.

When I say "Off Topic", I don't necessarily mean what was originally listed as "Kettle" material.

I meant things like fishing stories or regular "coffee shop" talk (wink, wi>>>

August 19, 2008 at 4:12 p.m.

Brian

The difference is the main forum page allows for quick access to the "Off Topic" and/or "Kettle" links. I think both will work but that the "Off Topics" site will be far less intrusive. Rules are rules and the site is moderated anyway right? The "R>>>

August 19, 2008 at 3:30 p.m.

Jim1

Making an Off-Topic section leads us to the same old problem. That many good topics will be posted there that are not exactly roofing topics and no-one will read them. The kettle was for stuff you feel you needed to post that we don't want to read. I>>>

August 19, 2008 at 3:10 p.m.

Terry D

I have to agree that at times the Kettle got a bit too hot. I'd often read it but rarely posted there because if your views differed with anyone, you were fair game for slaughter. A code of conduct would make it easier to express those off topic views>>>

August 19, 2008 at 3:05 p.m.

pgriz

Well, we COULD play nice, but then we would lose the insight that comes from observing someone cross the line. I find it very instructive to see how some people handle (or mishandle) criticism (or appearance of dissent with their point of view).>>>

August 19, 2008 at 1:30 p.m.

roofer2

I doubt "The Kettle" will ever be back. For some, there is just "too much" freedom of speech (when it doesn't jive with what they believe).

Roofscape is right. An Off-Topic section would be good. But Gosh forbid that we should ever actually have a>>>

August 19, 2008 at 4:53 a.m.

max

I appreciated what you were trying to do with the Kettle.

I always thought that the flaw with it was that conversations meander. You don't know where they are going to end up. If you know that a thread you are starting belongs in the Kettle, maybe yo>>>

August 19, 2008 at 4:29 a.m.

Mike H

Hated it then, would hate it now. I'm sure I missed a lot of good posts by Troop cuz I never went there.>>>

August 19, 2008 at 3:49 a.m.

Brian

I would like to see an "Off Topic" thread but not necessarily the "Kettle".

Would be nice to have off topic conversations without innidating the thread history page under roofing topics. And the "Kettle" is a little too foul languaged for my virgin>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Mule-Hide - Banner Ad - May 2024 RLW
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Westlake ad corrected size
USG - Sidebar - Fire
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad