User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
McCormack - Sidebar - Succession and Exit Planning - Watch Now
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
Westlake ad corrected size
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Leap - Sidebar - CTS + EV Giveaway - May 24
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

One of them days............

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike H

So thursday, we have some guy in a white van driving past one of our jobsites screaming "SCABS" several times during the day. Now keep in mind we have a pretty competitive package, and have had one guy come to our place from the union, and numerous people refuse to leave even under heavy union recruitment. Friday we get to the jobsite and discover big round holes cut in one of the roofs and the wires to the generator all cut. The closer we look, we find straight razor cuts all over the roof and other levels, at most of the angle changes where they are hard to find and all through the roof. (gee wonder who's responsible for this) Fortunately we found some evidence of who it may be......... a broken blade stuck in the roof with a good fingerprint. Then another crew pulls into an empty parking lot, noses into a spot and set it in reverse. Looks in the mirrors, nothing behind, starts to move and bang. A woman in a mini van pulled in behind them and stopped in his blind spot. No damage to the truck, but the 2x4's sticking out the back took out two doors and a window of the van. Then the guys get onto the roof, which i sold, a blow-off and in the area where it exposed, there was rotted wood. This was a penthouse surrounded on all sides by roofs with 2x6 wood plank decks. Turns out the wood I saw was where a curb had been removed and planked over. The rest of the roof was concrete. ARGH!!!!! Then OSHA stops at the vandalized roof, the inspector said he received a complaint. (guess who) Now we have just been informed that we are going to be nominated for the 3rd time in the last 5 years (there is a mandatory 1 year wait between nominations) for the "Governor's Award for Excellence in Workplace Safety". According to our BWC contact, we are the only roofing contractor ever nominated for this award. The OSHA guy tells my forman (my best interpretation of the 2nd hand report) "I've been across the street watching you for over an hour. Can't see any problems. You guys do a nice job. I did notice a man walk under a ladder without a hardhat, you need to watch that."

Freekin' union .....................

Did I mention the cops spent a whoppin' 15 minutes on the site? #$%$^&&&*%#$#@>>>

March 10, 2009 at 9:27 a.m.

Miscreant

Some days are better than others, that's for sure.

If the economy doesn't pick up, it might be a good idea to beef up security at the shop. During the recession of the early Eighties things got pretty ugly.>>>

March 10, 2009 at 12:24 a.m.

Roofsrus1

It is a downright satanic conspiracy to rob us of all prosperity that we have enjoyed as a nation. We need to not only work harder but to cooperate and do it as Team American and also to pray one for another as days go by. Mike, I am terribly sorry to hear about this and for everyone else who is being tried and tested-I am having the same things happen to me but have faith in the one who lives in the heavenly abodes above. Look upwards for your faith.>>>

March 9, 2009 at 8:40 a.m.

wywoody

One thing rarely spoken of about this recession is the evaporation of wealth among the rich. The resentful masses should be delighted, but the end result isn't what they were led to believe. The wealth never made its' way into the pockets of the poor like they were promised, so powers that be are hesitant to even acknowledge the pain that the rich are feeling. When the tax increases aimed at "levelling the field" finally kick in, the bleeding of the rich will have been so long that they will adopt the Gietner roll model for taxes to protect what they have left. The grand peoples society envisioned by the left and financed by the rich will never come to be. Revenge rarely works the way it is desired to.>>>

March 9, 2009 at 7:13 a.m.

jfreynik

yah mike the speed that it happened is amazing. i went from having a lot of work to none in a month. even the super rich are putting things on hold. i don't think it will get better very soon. we need to rethink how we get work. focus on repairs instead of replacement. i was thinking of running an add saying how i will help them get by repairing roof and waiting to replace. might work. of coarse i have to wait till i can work :(>>>

March 8, 2009 at 4:15 p.m.

Mike H

OUCH is right!!!!

Hope you have a speedy recovery copperman.

Have had a number of contracts cancelled, or delayed myself. I suspect the "delayed" will turn into cancelled. Things are not good. Never would have imagined that it could have happened so fast.>>>

March 8, 2009 at 1:44 p.m.

Old School

Ouch!>>>

March 8, 2009 at 11:34 a.m.

jfreynik

feel for you mike. I have been having one of those months. first I tear by biceps tendon and them I lose the last 2 jobs I had due to them canceling the contracts because of the economy. then i could not post BUT at last steve fixed it and now i can at least post again. i'm typing left handed. had surgery teusday and will be out of commission a long time>>>

March 7, 2009 at 10:11 p.m.

Old School

We are union and that disgusts me. Those are probably the guys that don't work because they aer the ones that aren't worth a chit and don't get hired. In a busy market, they will work and cause more damage that they install. A shame! Sorry about that Mike!>>>

March 7, 2009 at 8:18 p.m.

Mike H

FNRufer,

Yup. That's the one.

Lefty, that just might become new policy.>>>

March 7, 2009 at 7:08 p.m.

tinner666

Sorry to hear that Mike. What a dsdsis?X?Xdiis!!erp!!!!:woohoo: That's just beyond trifling!

That kinda crap gives the union a black eye. What a sad day.>>>

March 7, 2009 at 4:17 p.m.

The FNRUFR

no chit the chruch on market? I seen your setup there a few weaks ago.>>>

March 7, 2009 at 4:15 p.m.

Lefty

Hi MikeH,

That sucks.

People do not watch. Someone is always out of the truck when backing up.>>>

March 7, 2009 at 3:44 p.m.

Mike H

HOP,

Thanks.

Don't know who's insurance is responsible yet, but most likely it's their's. If there is a silver lining anywhere, it's that the vandals just created about 5 more days of work for us in a very slim work load.

The minivan incident was in a whole different city.>>>

March 7, 2009 at 3:39 p.m.

Roof Doctors USA

Wow Mike. I don't know what to say. What's the dollar value of the damage to the roof? Does your insurance cover it or the property owners insurance? Hope the catch the criminals.

Is the minivan incident related to the roof vandalism?

BTW, congratulations on the safety award!

>>>

March 7, 2009 at 2:59 p.m.

Mike H

Oh yeah......... the vandalism was on a church.

Real class move boys .................. iffin ennee ov yuse is edjumacated enuff to reed this>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

USG - Banner - Fire
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Leister - Sidebar - VARIMAT + LQS - May
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Increase Your Revenue - Ad 1
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif