Français

User Access

DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Cap for Slate Roof - Copper or Saddle Ridge

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

rockee12

Have a job coming up that requires repair of a slate roof cap. What are people's thoughts if it is better to put in a copper cap or put in a saddle ridge?

If our sub does a copper cap, what is best way to attach the sections - solder or a standing seam?>>>

November 27, 2008 at 2:00 p.m.

builderr

I would agree with real slater that a saddle ridge would be my most desired method of doing a ridge if it were my own house, but the question in the original post is....fix the existing saddle ridge vs. cover with copper. I don't think the owners opinion>>>

November 27, 2008 at 4:45 a.m.

Rolf

i know you guys could care less about what a guy who installs nothing but slate every day has to say but here goes anyway. i always stick with a saddle ridge when there are saddle hips. when using mitred, boston or fantail hips i would consider using a c>>>

November 23, 2008 at 2:05 a.m.

RABOIN

Rockee. Is it a ridge cap on the top of the roof, or a hip ridge? If it is on the top of the ridge (at the peak), you should be able to install a new slate ridge. Often times you will see a wooden nailer at the very top. We install that and then insta>>>

November 22, 2008 at 2:08 p.m.

builderr

I am attaching a link to a source that I couldn't figure out how to copy images. The comb ridge detail is at the bottom of page 238. Hope this helps. David

http://books.google.com/books?id=01qQMoqt7o4C&pg=PA240&lpg=PA240&dq=slate+comb+ridge&sou>>>

November 21, 2008 at 4:12 p.m.

builderr

yummy red cheese!!

I don't think a combed ridge would be an option here in this case because he is already dealing with an existing saddle and the existing slates under most likely are covered in mastics etc.....It would, if nothing else, require at lea>>>

November 21, 2008 at 4:04 p.m.

A-T-T

Is it cheese filled? :)>>>

November 21, 2008 at 4:43 a.m.

johnw

I guess I am right in assuming that nobody uses the comb ridge anymore?>>>

November 19, 2008 at 9:05 p.m.

tinner666

I prefer saddle but have done both, and the 'short slate' style too.>>>

November 19, 2008 at 3:56 p.m.

rockee12

Many of current saddle ridge slates are missing - would you advise removing all and doing the copper cap or repair and redo the saddle ridge?>>>

November 19, 2008 at 3:40 p.m.

builderr

If you install a saddle ridge in place of an existing saddle ridge, then chances are the final course of field slate are cornered so that you can properly nail, and flash as you go. Chances are you will use more copper doing a saddle ridge than a copper>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - Loyalty Program - Jan 24
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
MetalForming - Lunch & Learn
Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
Polyglass - Sidebar - PolyAnchor - April 2024