User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
FRSA - Sidebar Ad - FRSA Expo 2024
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

1001 underlayments

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

johnw

Just took the time to read the Nov. issue of Roofing Contractor. In the back they did a layout of underlayment comparisons. I was reading through it with interest. Apparently, the manufacturers submitted the data themselves by filling out a questionaire>>>

December 7, 2008 at 5:11 p.m.

wywoody

I was talking to the manager of a supplier on Friday. He told me that the wholesale price of felt is dropping, but back in July and August when things were rapidly rising, their buyer thought he was being smart by stocking up. Now, with the slowdown the>>>

December 6, 2008 at 6:01 p.m.

johnw

J.M. made the best shingle of all time, the Woodlands, which you cannot get any longer, and now they have discontinued the best lightweight underlayment of all time, Durabase, which is the most remarkable sheet I have used in years. I'm almost out of it>>>

December 4, 2008 at 2:10 a.m.

tinner666

Just spent $450. for 2 rolls of the breathable. Scheeeechh!>>>

December 4, 2008 at 1:08 a.m.

wywoody

Unless felt started dropping like gas, I'm paying $12 a square for IKO 30 lb. The last feltex that I bought was for the temp (base) felt on a 200 square house. I picked it up as needed three different times over 5 months as they had things framed. Pri>>>

December 1, 2008 at 1:47 p.m.

JEBROOFER

Come down? Hopefully they'll stop going up!! TheRoofing God is correct. Been told those facts for years working for manufacturers before moving to distribution sales.

There have not been any new refineries built over so many years but nearly every e>>>

November 28, 2008 at 11:57 p.m.

RABOIN

I am still waiting for the price of shingles to come back down.>>>

November 27, 2008 at 2:12 p.m.

iworkoutside

We had a long duiscussion on this on the old RCS.

I am still prone to vent my roofs thru the venting system, not the underlayment. I mostly require my felt to lay flat under comp shingles-- Roofers Select for immediate coverage. 30-lb. for if it sits for>>>

November 27, 2008 at 3:32 a.m.

tinner666

Don't mis-interpret what I fuss about all the time. I use felts and I&W both. I like I&W on the eaves as a back-up. But I never worry about felt tears or gaps as a rule. If it won't roll up a penetration tightly, I remove it if necessary so my metal is>>>

November 27, 2008 at 3:27 a.m.

tinner666

Same here OS. It's the new wave of roofers touting underlay which is also new. Where I came from, the roof was the ONLY line of defense and I had to know how to do it right.>>>

November 27, 2008 at 2:29 a.m.

RABOIN

Tinner, we nailed on thousands of squares of shingles with no felt years back. FHA specs used to be just one or two courses along the bottom of the roof. I remember when there was a "shortage" of felt and you could only get about 10 rolls of felt per>>>

November 27, 2008 at 12:34 a.m.

wywoody

I saw the same article, EGG. I noticed that Monier/Lifetile had their own synthetic. For years they insisted they would be neutral as to organic vs synthetic felts. I bet they're not so neutral now.>>>

November 26, 2008 at 11:41 a.m.

tinner666

Does anybody remember that the old 15 year asphalt/rag shingles were good for 18 years avg. with or without any underlay??????? It was only dependant on installion technique. Interesting.>>>

November 26, 2008 at 11:38 a.m.

tinner666

All the reps tell me it's important that no holes get in the materials so the roof won't leak. Seems they have no confidence in their asphlt roof products. 2 rolls of GAFDA came in for me. I'll try them under 2 copper roofs I'm doing.>>>

November 26, 2008 at 5:37 a.m.

johnw

Definitely not .04. I would think not even 16, either. This is a question that deserves more attention than I have thrown at it but I'm wondering what the goal is actually if we have to ventilate anyway. What's the point other than the fact that kno>>>

November 26, 2008 at 4:36 a.m.

iworkoutside

It was indeed "interestin". One of the few mags i amy keep for reference. But still, what is the magic perm number?>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

EagleView Assess -  Banner Ad - Visualizer
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
Kool Seal - Sidebar - Sales Rep - May 24
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad