English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Buesiness Accelerator Roundtables
AEP Span - Sidebar - Rollformer -  March
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

problems with owens corning vent sure rigid roll ridge vent on shingle roofs

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

dp

Any problems with owens corning vent sure rigid roll ridge vent on shingle roofs,5/12 pitch-tear off ,deck was slat sheathing, nice prep &30lb. base?

September 15, 2020 at 10:34 a.m.

rick roofer

owens corning does not stand behing their products ,was sent defective shingles  installed 12 sq before evident called supplier they sent rep   rep says was defective ,had to use different material OC was not avail .OC will not re imberse my labor i had to pay loss of 1,100 dollars

August 13, 2020 at 8:11 p.m.

westcoast ventman

one issue commonly missed on that particular ridge vent if you are talking about the 20ft roll product is the install team missing the part in the directions where they are suppose to apply sealant to the underside of the ridge vent to create a seal between the shingles and vent. Because the product doesn't offer an external baffle like the Lomanco LO OMNI Ridge 9-4. It doesn't divert the wind driven rain. This is another reason why they use the white filter to collect rain but over time the filter will clog plus a filter restricts air from day one. The LO OMNI 9-4 can be used with any 9-10" wide ridge cap.

May 5, 2010 at 2:14 a.m.

dp

Who has time to chase the $120 in phone time & paperwork? I was just wondering if its a waste of time & money as it seems. I have been installing roofs in So. Cal. for 34 years & it seemed like a good concept, until after 1 night of wind & rain I tapped the ridgevent with my roofing axe and water ran 4 feet down the shingles. I'll just pull the ridge, trash the ridgeroll and reinstall the ridge. Although Owens Corning is my preference for shingles, this will not be recommended. thanks guys Love The Roof Not The Roofer Dave

May 4, 2010 at 8:59 p.m.

salesman1

i thought venture (roll) is warranted under the oc extended warranty?

May 4, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

The baffled ridgevents are better as they vent a little more than you trimline/cora-vent....the latter two vent ok and are cheaper. Over time, though, the baffle vents can get clogged with debris in the baffles and reduce air flow.

May 4, 2010 at 6:25 a.m.

dp

Thanks stephen, I had recently used the OC ridgevent on 2 houses here in southern Cal.(San Diego area) and what little rain we do get, it was fine until we had wind and rain. One house was the personal Home of my biggest Contractor, but he's unhappy with the product and just glad we didn't use it on one of his recent La Jolla customers.

May 4, 2010 at 6:04 a.m.

Stephen1

Yes. 2 houses-directly acoss the street from each other- both leaked from the vent. over 20 years of roofing-never had a ridge vent leak untill those 2

now- the only ridge vents we use will be capover Air

Vents with the external baffle- which I visually hate because they are so visible stephen

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
USG - Sidebar - Fire
McCormack Succession and Exit Planning - Sidebar Register
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2