Français

User Access

Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
MetalForming - Lunch & Learn
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Pitch Roof (Coal Tar) Tearoff...Dang!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

andyrosco

Was tearing off roof today, but unaware it was pitch. Need better face/skin protection. Many more days tearing off on this roof. What is the best PPE for face and neck? Used basic CVS Advanced Healing lotion on irritated skin at end of day, and that worked fine, but need to avoid the pitch dust next time. Thanks

April 29, 2024 at 5:53 a.m.

AdamsAdams5

A pitched roof, with its sloping angles, is more than just an architectural choice; it's a design that withstands harsh weather and efficiently channels rainwater away from a structure. This design is often seen in residential and rural buildings, offering durability and style. As a homeowner, you can maintain a pitched roof with the right resources, including finding quality roofing supplies from BorderFreeHealth pharmacy online where you can order maintenance essentials for doorstep delivery.

February 6, 2014 at 12:36 a.m.

BrianMcCallister1

This is interesting! I enjoyed reading your great post.Thanks for the valuable information. As most cases of skin cancer are preventable, it is important that you adequately protect yourself. A range of personal protective equipment (PPE) choices should be a component of a comprehensive sun safety strategy to ensure the best possible protection against harmful UVR. Make personal protective equipment that reduces UVR exposure part of your regular uniform.

December 7, 2013 at 6:50 p.m.

jjshaggy

Last year we did a pitch tear off at the Navy Base in North Chicago. It was a water treatment plant specifically for the base, and right on the lakeshore so very windy. I had pitch burn so bad driving home in could hardly see, plus driving west right into the sun. About a mile from my house, I drove up onto that curb due to my eyes watering. Next thing I know I'm getting pulled over. The cop comes to me and says what happened back there, you drunk or something? Then he sees my eyes and asks why are your eyes so red? I explained the pitch burn, and said not drunk yet! He looks at my coal miner face and said just be careful, shaking his head.

November 10, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

roofrat

I agree with jjshaggy,a case of beer and any lotion with lidocane worked for me in the past.I have seen guys wear a large nylon over their heads(myself i dont wear a thing,i figure im ugly enough no amount of pitch will make me uglier)any advice that you receive here from our members will work.Just keep telling yourself and your co-workers that it wont last forever...there is light at the end of the tunnel.

November 10, 2013 at 2:18 p.m.

Mike H

"What is the best PPE for face and neck?"

Do more of it. It'll toughen you up. LOL

November 5, 2013 at 9:12 p.m.

jerry

like jjshaggy said beer at the end of the day ,bandana ,and eye protection. we never used pitch creme during tear off it just atracts the dust.what we would do is take a water hose and wet the roof enough to settle the dust helps a bunch

November 2, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

jjshaggy

The only cure I know of for pitch burn is a case of beer! As far as protection i do the trainrobber with a bandana, and one around the back of my neck. Goggles for the eyes. Long sleeve shirt is a must. Like old school said dont ever rub your eyes. Try not to be sloppy with it set it gently into carts and work upwind from it. Also i go wash up at lunch if possible if not i always have baby wipes in my bag to at least somewhat clean up! On a personal level i hate pitch cream makes me sweat worse. Have fun its sucks no matter what, but i always smile on payday!

November 1, 2013 at 6:07 p.m.

Old School

That hurts!! Long sleeve shirts, buttoned at the neck. gloves and some lotion on your exposed skin. Keep your hands away from your eyes! charge extra!!!!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

USG - Banner - Fire
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
MetalForming - Lunch & Learn
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey