English
English
Español
Français

User Access

EVERROOF - Sidebar - Podcast Training - Dec 2023
Polyglass - Sidebar - PolyAnchor - April 2024
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY...

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

Mike H

For a moment there I was feeling a little bad about the 4 raccoon that have died at the edge of my back porch this week. They were all quite cute and seemingly innocent sitting in that live trap.

But in the circle of life, we have too many raccoon, the flies need to eat too, and the fish under the pole that holds the carcasses will be eating well for the next two weeks. (good thing fish can't smell, woooo weeee, it does get a little on the ranky side)

When we sit down to a meal of slab sided 2 lb. shellcrackers or jumbo yellow perch, we quietly give thanks for the coon, opossum and groundhogs whose flesh fed the maggots who fed the fish, and for the fact that we sit on the top side of the food chain.

May 31, 2014 at 12:02 a.m.

egg

Seen-it-all, that's a picturesque story. Time marches on does it not? lol. Woody, your thumbnail descriptions of things just tear me up. You are a very discerning fellow. I couldn't come up with a more economical way of describing that building aesthetic if my life depended on it.

As far as the gophers go, I cleaned and oiled and put away my six cinch traps after work today. Altogether I got four in about four days. There is no more apparent gopher action anywhere. I actually don't feel any compunction to kill every last one that sets foot on my property; I think they perform beneficial services to the biosphere and they have as much right to a good life as I do, but I can't abide it when they eviscerate my wife's flower beds or undermine the piers of my little storage buildings.

They are stout-hearted little souls. Hard-working, solitary, territorial. Quite like all of us, actually. I got three clean kills but the fourth one hurt me more than just a little. I went to pull the trap out and he was jammed in the runnel and gave out a high-pitched groan of agony. I grabbed a shovel and made as quick and painless work of it as I could. I hate killing things and it made me stop and think about my motives and how implacable I can get when I make my mind up about something.

I'll get the traps out again if I have to, but if they behave themselves, I am willing to live and let live.

May 29, 2014 at 7:40 a.m.

wywoody

Thanks, EGG. I bought my house and shops from a builder customer of mine that had lived here for a couple of decades. When he built the office, he upgraded things to show off his work. It was a time capsule of "elegant 80's" design. Unlike the brass coach-house lighting and gold package bathroom fixtures, the floor is timeless.

I gave up on gopher traps. Just setting it was more likely to draw my blood than the gophers. I use pellets now.

May 28, 2014 at 5:45 p.m.

Mike H

Some cool stories. I've been trying to reduce my cat food bill by 80% via elimination of a whole family of coons that have found our back porch.

May 28, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

seen-it-all

egg, your gopher reference reminded me of a time back over 40 years ago when I was employed on the railroad gang. We got stationed out on the bald prairie and with no lakes and streams to fish, we used our fishing rods and went fishing "gophers". We made a noose with the fishing line and placed it over the hole, let out a bunch of line, sit back and when they popped their head up we would "set the noose" and it was gopher on. Played a few that decided to run but lost the ones that went down the hole again. The game changed though when we all went to town and bought 22's.

May 28, 2014 at 1:06 a.m.

egg

Nice post, woody. Nice floor, too.

If I'm just by myself well "it might be one o'clock and it might be three...time don't mean that much to me...I got my plans I don't know about you...tell y'exactly what I'm agonna do-o..." (60's Rolling Stones I think) Been setting gopher traps in the morning lately and then going to work. So far I've only gotten one, but I definitely nailed him. Maybe I skeered the others off. Hardly.

May 22, 2014 at 10:00 a.m.

wywoody

I need my safety BELT and tile hangers. This is my new belt, back when they had to be replaced with harnesses (early 90's?) I had about a dozen of them. Since I, as an owner am exempt, I continued to use them and just recently threw away the last of my old ones. I know if I were to go over the edge, a harness would be better. But I also know how much safer and maneuverable I am on the roof with a belt, ascender and climbing rope compared to my employees in a fully compliant harness, lanyard and rope.

The hanger is bent to fit over a tile in the field for storage of tile and tools.

I also have to admit I need employees to help get me going. If I have employees working, the trucks roll out at between 7:15 and 7:30. If I'm just by myself it might be 8:30.

May 22, 2014 at 12:52 a.m.

Still lovin the pain

Coffee in the morn. Gotta get started with coffee and computer..the rest is easy and quite enjoyable EVERYDAY Oh and my most important is GOD without him/her I would be F.....

May 19, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

Mike H

I supposed I could get along OK without my ladder these days. It's rare that a customer doesn't have a hatch.

The one tool that I'm pretty darn sure I could not do this without is my........ wife. She keeps me on track.

May 10, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

natty

1. My air tools- Senco stapler and framepro, and a coil nailer (I am still trying to find one I like). I never would have gotten into roofing if I had to hand bang every nail. 2. My laddervatter- this is the key to my longevity. 3. My chevy 1 ton dually dump truck. Perfect tear off tool for residential roofing. Bought it new in '82 and kept me going to '05. Now, I just work out of my pickup and order a 10 yard dumpster for certain whole roof tear offs.

May 7, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

egg

My sense of humor. Without it the intense sobriety demanded by this occupation will just relentlessly grind you into powder. When your sense of humor goes on the blink it's like having a clogged fuel filter in your truck, and yes, I have to say my truck. Everything I need is in that thing. Computer close to that. Cellphone right behind that. Firepot right behind that. Estwing flat bar right behind that. And lunchbox. Got the estimate book, camera, and lunch in there. And my greenstone on my keyring. Glasses, of course. Thermos of tea. Quite a few things I can't live without, or think I can't. One of these days I'm going to really enjoy trying to do without all of them. Well, excepting a dictionary. Always have to have a dictionary. And Crimony...my pipe and Borkum Riff. Talk about a thoughtless, thankless addict. Wouldn't go anywhere without the pipe.

May 5, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.

cts racing

My battery powered Dewalt kit: Hammer drill, Sawzall, Grinder, light, Circular saw. Plus I have a drill accessary kit with square, hex, star, flat & Phillips drivers, nut drivers, paddle bits, extensions, etc. Plus diamond blades & cut-off wheels for the grinder. Metal, wood, diamond sawzall blades. I specifically have the diamond blade for cast iron sewer pipes to cut the 'bell' (female end) off so a new pipe flashing can be installed. Lots of ammunition to tackle any job in any situation.

I have 5 batteries that keep me in operation and have them numbered so I can keep track of charged & need charged.

May 5, 2014 at 6:13 a.m.

tinner666

copperman Said: My common sense. Having the ability to think through a problem and come up with a solution.

Yep! :)

May 4, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Chuck2

Truck and ladder are the obvious answers. Beyond that, sure grip cushion, nail bar, tool belt, roofing hammer, utility knife, safety boards, rope for tying the ladder off and caulking gun.

I would add metal brake and grinder but I've bent enough metal over deck rails by hand and chopped out enough brick mortar over the years with a roofing hammer that I guess it proves those things are nice but optional.

May 3, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

TomB

My planner.....I'm old-school.....gotta have my planner w/me at all times.

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

USG - Banner - Fire
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad