User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

ROOF SAFETY; DOES NOBODY CARE??

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Estorey

Ok, First of all, to Vicky the Boss, I was not implying anything bad against this website. I know you would never promote anything unsafe and I apologize if it sounded that way. I am just tired of seeing unsafe practice.

For the jerk saying that I'm vendictive and "Not Real", the reason I don't know if the guy is alive or not, is because I stopped doing business with them. If you want to stick up for unsafe practice guys, it's your call. Why would I call OSHA?? For the BIGGEST reason, if it saves only ONE life, it's worth it.

I'm sorry guys, if I have offended anyone, well then I would assume that you aren't safe. If that's your choice, then so be it. Just don't risk the lives of others. I'm very proud to ensure my guys are safe. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if an individual with a family died because I didn't do MY job.

May 30, 2013 at 8:40 a.m.

wywoody

Even though My company is mostly in compliance and I constantly see others that are not, I have never felt an urge to call them in to WSHA (our version of OSHA). I believe you take care of your own and allow others to do things their way and usually people will eventually get what's coming to them.

You, Estorey, reveal what kind of vindictive person you are by advocating turning in violators. But I don't take you seriously or even think you are for real. A person has a major fall doing a job you were working on and you don't even know if they survived?! Come on.

May 30, 2013 at 5:10 a.m.

GSD

Safety has nothing to do with OSHA, policy, meetings, handbooks, etc.

I have roofed for 30 years and I have never worn a harness. all of my injuries that have occured to me, no amount of OSHA or meetings could have stopped them.

If you need anything except yourself to tell you whats safe and what isn't, you really shouldn't be on the roof.

I have let people go because they just weren't safe. had nothing to do with something or someone telling me they weren't safe, I could see it.

May 29, 2013 at 8:44 p.m.

Rockydog

So true, egg, but we as the gatekeepers must keep an eye on those that enter your sanity, err safety zone.

May 29, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.

egg

I care a lot and I always have. I'm not wearing a harness in most cases and I am completely unapologetic about it. My state deviated from that stupid six-foot ruling. I don't go shirtless anymore, but if I wanted to, as I sometimes used to, I would, and would take great comfort in knowing that professionalism is based on many things, general physical and emotional presence being one of them. Smoke my pipe pretty much any time and anywhere I want, though not inside other people's spaces, and I'm unapologetic about that as well.

Circumstances dictate comportment; they always have. The number one dictum to put in company policy is to carefully observe circumstances, which change all the time.

Most people are incapable of doing that, incapable of making adjustments, and incapable of accurately reading most of the things that affect sanity on the jobsite. Sanity is the goal. Sanity is always the goal.

"Safety" or what is now signified by that word, is important as an aspect of sanity, not the other way around.

May 29, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

OLE Willie

If Mama aint' happy, aint' nobody happy!

:unsure:

May 29, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

vickie

Dear Estory:

I agree with your impassioned plea about safety but I think you missed the point of the photo. If you would have clicked through from the email you will see that photo was taken in the 80's and it was meant to be tongue in cheek correlating with the subject of the email. By posting that photo I am not promoting unsafe practices any more than posting the photo weeks before with the elderly lady on the roof was encouraging old people to get on a roof. It should be very clear that my photos are posted to show how absurd or scary people can be.

FYI: I will be posting a photo in a couple of weeks with a shirtless guy roofing with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. The inference will be "look at how we used to do things" - not "do it this way". Again, My posting photos of unsafe working conditions taken decades ago is not promoting those practices but the exact opposite.

Additionally the point of the topic I reposted was so show even the most cautious people make mistakes. My eblast was about not getting too complacent with your safety. How did any of this make you mad?

Being such an advocate of safety as you seem to be you should be happy I am trying to help. Please try and view the photos in the manner in which they were entended and I am sorry you are in such a bad mood. You came real close to putting me in one!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Emulate
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
USG - Sidebar - Fire
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif