Français

User Access

Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Question of the Month - Piece Of Advice

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

egg

When you are going in, plan on being the best. When you think you have gotten there, start over. When you think you have gotten there, check your ego. When you think you have gotten there, check your heart. When you think you have gotten there, ask yourself, "Am I helping anybody? Am I making a difference?"

July 15, 2016 at 8:32 p.m.

Chuck2

Yep, in the roofing trade there is always something to do until the job is completely finished and everything loaded up and ready to go.

I use to constantly joke with the guys saying "well the only thing we like now is finishing". I said that all day long even just before starting. lol

July 9, 2016 at 6:47 a.m.

TomB

Mike H; - Sooo true! ..... Reminds me of what an older fella told me when I first entered the workforce some 40 years ago - Something along the lines of "If there's only one thing I can tell you - Is to do something - But for God's sake, don't stand there waiting to be told what to do..... Would rather have you do something a bit wrong than nothing at all....." Don't be a zero.....

July 8, 2016 at 9:24 p.m.

natty

The most important thing is to learn the WHY something is done- not just the HOW. First thing you do is read the directions.

July 8, 2016 at 11:52 a.m.

Mike H

Show initiative.

That simple act of showing a genuine interest in what you're doing, caring that it's done right and not just waiting for someone to TELL you what to do next will get you started up the ladder quickly. This kind of person is getting harder and harder to find.

If nothing else, simply be observant, and if you are done with something, and an experienced guy is doing a task you are capable of, go take his task and tell him "Go do something more in line with your skill level".

YOU WILL GET NOTICED! Quickly.

July 5, 2016 at 8:48 a.m.

TEMAroofing

My best advise it to be pick the brains of your peers and other professionals in the industry. Ask questions, lots of them! Listen well, work hard and be patient. This is a great industry when you really submerge yourself in it.

July 2, 2016 at 7:45 p.m.

Chuck2

A new guy should understand from the start that it's not about how many jobs you can sell but rather how profitable those jobs are. ;)

July 2, 2016 at 7:21 a.m.

roofrat

..is to wake up and go to work.50% of this job is just showing up.

July 1, 2016 at 8:09 a.m.

wywoody

In general, roofers tend to do what is easiest for them to do at the time. I'm not necessarily referring just to physical exertion, lots of time someone will be doing something strenuous, but resist stopping to go get the tool or part needed. When you install tile it is important to finish as you go, as you lay tile consider the laid tile to be the edge of the roof. STAY OFF OF IT.

July 1, 2016 at 2:11 a.m.

TomB

Truly assess yourself - Make sure you have passion for what your're about to do - money aside.

June 30, 2016 at 9:47 p.m.

Old School

Find someone like Mike Hicks in Ohio or Mike in New Zealand that is really good at what they do and work for them for a year or so and ask questions and watch and see what is going on. Learn it FIRST, and then go out on your own. If you are sharp, you will learn how to do things right. THEN, wash, rinse, repeat!!!!

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024