By Heidi J. Ellsworth.
Upcoming awards can create buzz for your company
Walking into any contractor’s office, there are usually several awards from manufacturers and local organizations. They are a point of pride as they should be. An additional awards avenue that every roofing contractor should look at are national association awards for quality and excellence.
There is nothing better than sharing the success of a job well done. Contractors have amazing roofing jobs that show off the quality and professionalism of our trade. Being able to take that project and share it with the world is a great way to market your business. By winning awards for quality, you are validating your business and quality in the eyes of your customers. You can show them that your work is recognized nationally.
It can also help with recognition from manufacturers and distributors. Award winners receive press in trade magazines and on trade websites. They are recognized on the association’s website which not only helps your public relations program but is great for Search Engine Optimizations (SEO). And it helps to build culture. Your crews are proud of their work and by you showing it off to the world, it makes them proud and they feel respected. It is a win-win.
Here are seven reasons why you should add award applications to your marketing plan.
- Build your Portfolio – Every roofing company should have a strong portfolio of jobs on their website and in their sales presentations. If those jobs are award winners, it is even better. As jobs are in progress remember to take quality photos that can be used for the award submissions.
- Public Relations – Winning awards are great for press releases, blogs and coverage. Be sure to make a big deal of winning, even if you are an honorable mention. Being there and competing is great in itself. Sharing your progress through the awards on social media also creates excitement and fans for your company.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – The more back links you can get on other sites the better your SEO will be. Also, being placed in reputable magazines and websites can really boost your overall online reputation.
- Sales – Customers love to see what you can do. Show them. It is critical that they understand the level of quality and safety that you bring to every job. And when your employees win awards it is not just thrilling for the employee but great for the company reputation and company culture.
- Culture – Everyone wants to work with winners and be a part of showcasing their work and projects. Again, it shows that you are proud of your company, employees and quality of work.
- Industry Reputation – Awards can bring you to the notice of manufacturers and distributors. By being a part of different award programs, you will meet new people and gain relationships that can help you with better programs and even improved pricing.
- Customer Loyalty – For current customers, it validates their trust in you. They can share that you are their roofing company and you are an award-winning organization. Showcasing your customers projects through award programs can also be great for their businesses or just make a homeowner very proud.
So, what are some awards that you can apply for? Here are three awards in the roofing industry that I am aware of, there is probably a lot more.
- The Roofing Industry Alliance for Progress' Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award program celebrates workers who are outstanding employees within their companies and recognizes them for their outstanding performance outside the workplace—their charitable deeds, community involvement, challenges they've overcome, dedication and commitment to helping others. MVPs are role models who demonstrate work-related and personal goals to which others aspire. Through the MVP program, you can nominate your employee for an award to formally recognize his or her outstanding contributions through on-the-job performance and workmanship or for outstanding performance and other noteworthy contributions outside the workplace. The deadline for nominations is November 16, 2018. Visit http://www.roofingindustryalliance.net/Programs/MVP/ to apply.
- The Gold Circle Awards program recognizes Alliance and NRCA members for outstanding contributions to the roofing industry. Unique roofing-related jobs, programs and services completed between June 1, 2016, and May 21, 2018, are eligible for the program. To be considered for a Gold Circle Award, Alliance and NRCA members are nominated by their peers and community for significant contributions to the roofing industry in the following categories: Outstanding Workmanship, Innovative Solutions and Safety Preparedness and Performance. The deadline for nominations is October 12, 2018. For more information visit http://www.roofingindustryalliance.net/gold-circle-awards-program. Special Note: Becoming a member of NRCA is always great for your business.
- ARMA Roofing Excellence in Asphalt Roofing (formerly Quality Asphalt Roofing Case Studies (QARC))is a recognition program that will give roofing contractors, consultants and architects the ability to gain the national prominence that they deserve for their work with asphalt roofing. Aside from crowning three winners, this program allows anybody to share success stories, best practices and have a chance to network and learn, while promoting the core benefits of asphaltic roofing. ARMA encourages every roofing professional to submit of as many entries as possible, including their small residential projects as well as large commercial roofing projects. ARMA will highlight outstanding projects, including those that use innovative roofing materials as well as excellent applications of traditional asphalt roofing materials. And of course, there is absolutely no fee to enter. Submission Deadline - December 31, 2018. For more information visit https://asphaltroofing.org/excellence/submit-your-entry.
- Best Metal Roofing Project competition hosted by the Metal Roofing Alliance (MRA). Beginning Oct. 4, 2018 through Dec. 31, 2018, the MRA will award one monthly first prize winner for the project judged to be the most outstanding example of a great metal roofing project. Open to U.S. and Canada contractors, installers and manufacturers, entries will be evaluated based on appearance, performance and originality/use of materials and each monthly first-prize winner will receive a $500 cash prize. To enter, interested participants can upload a photo of their metal roofing project and a 200-word or less description at metalroofing.com.
Good luck applying for awards for 2019. I look forward to seeing your company on the award stage.
Leave a Reply
Have an account? Login to leave a comment!