Français

User Access

NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
AEP Span - Sidebar - Rollformer -  March
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Workers Comp for Roofers

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

roofermike

The roofing business is a wild west show down here in Miami as the Workers Comp laws are largely ignored and unenforced. Just curious, is this happening where you are? Just wrote an article on our site, check out www.roofermikeinc.com/roofing-miami-style/roofers-workers-comp/

February 21, 2021 at 7:25 p.m.

roofermike

I don't like how Roofer Mike is trying to get people over to his site and keeps planting links here (SEO trick). He doesn't come back and participate here.

Am I just being petty?

-vickie

Petty? I dunno but you're right, l o l. I even left a link on a Merry Christmas post. Sorry, I was trying to get my site cranked up, I built it myself,  it's a pride thing, but yes, I was an SEO ho'

June 11, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

OLE Willie

I dunno! What was required for the state license? Most likely they charged more for you being out of state.

I never had a state license only the city and county ones.

When I was doing residential replacements it still rarely went over $10,000 and if it did I let the homeowner buy the material and gave a labor only price to drop it back under.

I "guess" I can say this now that I'm out of that game?

:unsure:

June 11, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.

Mike H

Ah, yes, I remember that caveat, and perhaps one that allowed up to $50k if you were working for a GC??? does that sound right?

June 10, 2013 at 6:35 p.m.

OLE Willie

Then you must be talking about a state license which is only required for jobs over $10,000.

I don't do roof replacements anymore. Only repairs and they never go over $10,000.

You still need a city/county license and permit to do any job.

And yes something changed. We were over run by storm chasers after having only minor scattered hail about 4 yrs ago. Some of them are still here 4 years later but most already ripped our homeowners off and ran for the hills. This also brought in OSHA.

So now you can see some roofers hangin' from a rope without it being a suicide or a homocide! :blink:

June 10, 2013 at 2:48 p.m.

Mike H

Willie,

Something must have changed in Alabama. When I got my license, it was a far more difficult process than forking over $200.00

Maybe it's different if you're a resident. ???

June 7, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

seen-it-all

Not being petty Vickey.

I wouldn't let roofermike put an ad on my truck.

June 6, 2013 at 11:40 a.m.

CIAK

That's why your the BOSS. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

June 5, 2013 at 11:34 p.m.

vickie

I don't like how Roofer Mike is trying to get people over to his site and keeps planting links here (SEO trick). He doesn't come back and participate here.

Am I just being petty?

June 5, 2013 at 8:29 p.m.

Old School

If and when someone gets hurt, they will be treated, and the hospital will charge the owner of the company and if that company doesn't't have insurance, they will keep going down the line until they find one that does. Cost run downhill! Been that way forever and it is still that way.

June 5, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

Rockydog

Here in Arizona the owner gets to opt out. Actually it's mandatory, everyone else is covered. It's not a question of if someone is going to get hurt, it's "WHEN". and it will happen sooner or later. If I have a guy sprain his wrist or ankle on the job, it gets written up and he goes to the clinic. Has to take a pee test whicvh helps me filter out the users. Same thing with the girls in the office. Short of breaking a nail if they get hurt their going to the clinic and it gets written up. I guess you could say it's on the "being honest system" and it's also being morally correct in making sure your employees are covered

June 5, 2013 at 10:52 a.m.

CIAK

Here Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day, on the incredible West Coast of Florida, in the county of Pinellas. Code enforcement will review permit applications for WC exemptions and target those jobs for inspection. Seen a few tagged and shut down because of this. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

June 5, 2013 at 6:07 a.m.

TomB

Mike.....You've hit upon one of, (if not THE), biggest pet-peeve's of mine, concerning the residential construction industry.

WC ins. would probably become a very insignificant labor burden cost, if it was truly enforced. Instead, a few of us, "Dudley-Do-Right's", support the whole damn notion of it.

My experiences, are that most states have gov't-type/run WC ins. programs, that are run as such......So. nobody really cares. Heck, Colorado's Pinnacle Insurance, (formerly "State Fund"), offers "workers comp waiver" forms, to their clients.....actually inticing/encouraging them to cheat the system!

Concerning residential construction, very rarely are employees not missrepresented as "independent subcontractors", here in the beautiful state of Colorado.

June 5, 2013 at 6:05 a.m.

OLE Willie

Happening?

It's been that way forever!

In Alabama the law is 4 or more employees before you have to legally carry WC and casual employees don't count.

The only government enforcement is local cities driving around checking for license and permits. Anyone with 200 bucks can get the license and 35-65 bucks for a permit.

No one inspects anything on the roofs. They ask from the ground sometimes not even getting out of their cars.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MCA - Banner Ad - MetalTalk
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024