User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

TPO membrane over EPDM

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TBR

Can you glue TPO membrane directly to EPDM. If not what would be an alternative. The roof deck is concrete and has asphalt empragnated fiber board glued to it with EPDM over that. Tear off is not an option.

July 17, 2020 at 4:05 a.m.

peterbivens2434

When replacing the roof is not aviable option,coating an existing roofing membrane can be an excellent option. It can save you a lot of money and time as compared to expensive roof replacement. A coat of high quality EPDM Liquid Rubber can restore an existing roof to like-new; delaying the need for roof replacement by adding up to 18 to 20 years of guaranteed life protection to your existing roof.

January 19, 2012 at 2:32 p.m.

benjaminpoirier

Hi,

Anybody know why Dow Roofing Systems has stopped manufacturing TPO membrane back in January 2011?

Is TPO membrane recommanded for ''green roof''?

Any special procedures for installing TPO membrane for ''green roof''`?

What are the typical issues with using TPO membrane for green roof in cold climate?

Thanks for responding.

January 17, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.

roofing101

Im with Mike H on this one. Present a tear-off. You owe it to the client, as well as yourself, to provide the most hassle free solution possible (the client dealing with leaks, and you getting sued by them after a million dollar server goes down or something). If they want a band-aid, give em one, but give no warranty.

Wet insulation should be fully removed, likely the whole roof system by the sounds of it, and replaced with new. I do not recommend adhering anything to aged EPDM! Especially a new roof membrane(fleece backed fully adhered in low rise adhesive, or whatever). I do not know a manufacturer who would warranty the installation (maybe Duro-Last).

If you do get a tear-off, and go back with a low rise adhesive, please make sure you use 4'x4' board stock! The cupping and blow-off potential become a bitch during high wind conditions when using 4x8. Don't cut corners! Also, factor in substrate drying time. Adhesives don't stick well to wet substrates. Regards and good luck.

January 16, 2012 at 8:24 a.m.

Blissfield Maintenance

All i can say is wow wow wow!!!lol look its total wrong to adhere a new membraine over any wet roof !to many fubar factors remove old epdm then remove old board.Then pin and grin new iso or oly the stuff even if you vent it if its had high amounts of moisture its going to divit in those areas if it hardboard.save your self the pain and remove it.If they want cheap then repair and conklin but remove is not that hard.imho

January 9, 2012 at 6:51 p.m.

elmo

Why not use Elastomeric roof coatings to restore it to a water proof system with the benefits of a white roof. You can get 10 year warranties, with a sustainable system that can be recoated , light weight, totally adhered, and seamless. A EPDM roof is only good for around ten years the it will start to shrink up, pulling it loose from walls penetrations and at the seams. And then you're back to square one! http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/rcs/users/elmo/http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/rcs/users/elmo/

January 9, 2012 at 6:50 p.m.

elmo

Why not use an Elastomeric roof coatings system on it? You can get a ten year warranty on them. EPDM won't last much longer and it probably will have problems before that! EPDM shrinks up as it ages, pulling away from the walls, penetrations and the seams. Once a roof has been coated, it can be sustained over the years by recoats after the warranty period(many last for years after the warranty has expired). The business owner will enjoy a totally adhered, totally seamless, energy efficient, attractive roof.

January 9, 2012 at 6:43 p.m.

elmo

Why not use Elastomeric roof coatings to restore it to a water proof system with the benefits of a white roof. You can get 10 year warranties, with a sustainable system that can be recoated , light weight, totally adhered, and seamless. A EPDM roof is only good for around ten years the it will start to shrink up, pulling it loose from walls penetrations and at the seams. And then you're back to square one! http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/rcs/users/elmo/

December 15, 2011 at 2:41 p.m.

RoofYourWorld

Billy Luttrell Said: I am not going to tell anyone what to do, but If I was in this case and a tear off was not option....I would probably not mess with the job. Too many variables for a complete and total nightmare for my comfort level.

I'm with you. If the customer isn't telling you why he doesn't want to tear off, chances are the project is price-driven. You can do anything you want to do, but as soon as Joe Blow comes in with a price 1% lower than you...you lose the job!

Go with your gut. If you feel something is wrong it probably is. The ballast option is the ONLY option I would even consider...but in this application it might not even be as cost-effective as you may think.

December 3, 2011 at 7:18 p.m.

Billy Luttrell1

I am not going to tell anyone what to do, but If I was in this case and a tear off was not option....I would probably not mess with the job. Too many variables for a complete and total nightmare for my comfort level.

December 3, 2011 at 6:31 p.m.

elmo

If tear off is not an option, maybe you could consider elastomeric coatings, Conklin has a system to coat EPDM rubber using Rapid Roof III which carries a ten year non-prorated warranty. The cost would be considerably less then some of the systems mentioned above and way less invasive. http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/rcs/users/elmo/

November 8, 2011 at 2:04 p.m.

paso fino roofer

As a proffessional, ethical roofer,,,,,No you cant. I don't know why tear off is not an option but let's just say you can. Tear it all off and get it clean. Insta stick or oly bond your polyisosyanurate insy to the deck. Insta stick or oly bond your 1/4" densdeck over that. Than totally adhere your TPO on top of that. If you know your single ply then you know what to do from there on. That's how we do it here in Colorado.

October 27, 2011 at 5:22 p.m.

tinner666

Tin Man Said: Id like to know, How many of the roofers who answered this question, will be around in the next year or so?

6, not counting you or myself.

October 27, 2011 at 4:45 p.m.

Tin Man

I'd like to know, How many of the roofers who answered this question, will be around in the next year or so?

October 11, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.

Rozell

If the old roofing system is wet, then getting a warranty will be a problem. If you are going to leave the old system and the insulation is dry,I would cut the old EPDM and remove it.You could then lay a Fanfold insulation down. Im assuming you can fasten around the perimeter of the roof. You could then install your TPO and the idea of Ballast on this would work as well. Tearing off would be my choice... http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/rcs/users/rozell/

October 10, 2011 at 8:00 p.m.

kgriffith

If insulation is not needed I would relief cut the epdm, densdeck over that and fully adhere tpo. In fact just looked at a similar situation today.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 - Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Leads May 2024
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO