Français

User Access

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Pitchforks ?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RoofersClub.com

All I have ever seen used in my area is tear off shovels that take the nails out. Whoever uses pitchforks, do you take the nails out afterward or just pound them down. If they are not pulled doesn't that affect the warranty. Sounds like a silly question but I am curious.

Thanks,

Onarooftop>>>

June 28, 2022 at 7:55 p.m.

longjohnsgabby

By employing the two pitch fork approach, my dad and another guy were able to tear out 84 squares in only one day. Unreal! hahaha The one thing that really gets under my skin is when people climb up on roofs and start ripping things off, shattering shingles into a million pieces, flinging garbage all over the place, and throwing stuff down into the ground. I can't handle that. That is a certain way to labor yourself to death for no cause other than your own ignorance and impatience. It shouldn't make a difference whether the nails are taken out or driven in. 

June 21, 2009 at 9:19 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I found that using forks when there are only a 3-4 man crew can make a mess with longer clean up and prep time. but with larger crew, forks are the best as they rip up shingles faster...needing only about 2-3 guys to tearoff and leave the rest packing. I have experienced a much faster tear off process with this method.

Used forks on shakes as well...met up with a local contractor while in an interview and we talked about advantages of forks on shake jobs (his guys use shovels) Told him to invest in forks for his next shake tearoff. Called me several weeks later to tell how well his job went using the forks and that the guys liked the forks....never did hire me though.>>>

June 21, 2009 at 7:16 a.m.

wywoody

I take all my arsonal to a tear-off, pitchfork, shingle-eaters, shovels, pry bars, claw hammers. Like Willie said, it depends on the job, the employee, time of year (even the time of day) which one will work best at any time. Other than wood shingles over spaced sheathing, the pitchfork seems to be rarely used.>>>

June 20, 2009 at 9:24 p.m.

RoofersClub.com

Most roofs in my area have planking, instead of plywood or osb. I think the nails wouldn't pop out of the planks with the shingles. On osb and plywood it would seem to work.>>>

June 20, 2009 at 6:51 p.m.

OLE Willie

Well, when i was at my prime concerning tearing off, It would depend on the particular roof as to what method we would use. Often trying a couple of the methods before making a final decision. There are many ways to tear off a roof. I found that these shovels used today with the backs on them and the multiple teeth are usually the hard way even though they seem to be made just for the job. In the summer the best method ( on a 1 layer ) is usually TWO forks, one in each hand and a guy pulling and throwing big chunks in the truck. ( Sometimes you have to get underneath the felt to make the big pieces come up in chunks ) Other times Starting at the bottom and just ripping it up by hand is the best summer time method. In the winter however, I find that a flat spade shovel works best, pulling all the nails out as i go. But like i say it depends on the roof, the roof deck, layers etc. etc.. lol The main thing we ever used the big shovels with all the teeth for was to pull nails our afterwards. They usually break the shingles into a million pieces so i dont like them for tear off. I've even seen some guys use claw hammers to tear off a roof with pretty good speed. But that one is not for me. My dad and another man tore off 84 squares in one day using the two pitch fork method. Unreal! lol The only thing i cant stand is when someone gets up on a roof and starts tearing off breaking the shinlges in a million pieces and slinging the trash all over the place and pushing it off on the ground. That will work you to death for no reason except ignorance and lack of patience. Shouldn't matter whether nails are driven in or pulled out. If it does i've never had a complaint in over 25 yrs.>>>

June 20, 2009 at 4:17 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Pitchforks are what the guys like best and "Most" of the nails come out with the shingles, but we use small hand bars with multiple teeth for the remaining loose ones that project over the deck surfacing.

Ed>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
The GLO Group - Sidebar Ad - FEBRUARY Option2-Optimized
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest