English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
The GLO Group - Sidebar Ad - FEBRUARY Option2-Optimized
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Gratuity's for Roofers

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

Here's something I thought about today. Do you roofers or your crews ever get offered tips? I know you bid a job and that is what you expect to be paid. Tips aren't part of our roofing business (are they?). I wouldn't imagine any tips are offered on commercial projects because you may be working with a general contractor or management company. Your tip is getting hired for the next job, but with a residential project do homeowners reward you with a little extra?

I personally have a tendency to tip or add a little extra to my bills. That doesn't mean it should be done. I'm not bragging, it's more of a flaw than an attribute with me. But I will always have cold drinks and some cash for a crew member that goes out of his way. Sometimes lunch. I am grateful getting the project done and mentally think they are doing me a favor instead of doing what they are paid for. Do you have other customers that feel this way too? If someone offers do you take the tip?

How about you. Do you ever tip the yard guys in the material yard or the guys deliver your materials? Let's take it a step further, do you tip the girl at the counter when you pick up your Pizza!?

April 3, 2015 at 9:12 a.m.

egg

"wobbly pops." lol

Speaking of those coffee mugs, I take good care of mine. "Where the industry meets for coffee!" So do any of you still have the first one with the slightly larger graphics that says, "A place for roofers to start their day out right!"

April 3, 2015 at 12:11 a.m.

seen-it-all

I always seem to get more tips if I am working alone. A hundred bucks is a common tip if you are working alone but if you have a 5 man crew, things like that just don't happen. I'm always suprized when they want to crack out the beer at lunch for the crew. I just tell them that they can't drink on the job site and if they start feeding them wobbly pops, the shingles may get a bit crooked and they will pee on your roses.

April 2, 2015 at 7:34 p.m.

Old School

Believe it or not, I once got a coffee mug in the mail from some crazy lady that thought she could start a online coffee shop!

April 2, 2015 at 1:27 p.m.

clvr83

Not much since they raised the price of shingles.

We did a shake t/o & deck when I was 15 years old during the summer. Nightmare job. The homeowner bought everybody on the crew a carton of cigarettes or a bottle of jack daniels for the two guys that didn't smoke. I didn't get anything except for black boogers from the 100 year old shakes.

April 2, 2015 at 12:43 p.m.

vickie

Bump

October 6, 2012 at 1:54 p.m.

ottawa_roofer

Yup,6 man crew, all got 100. even the labourers.

October 4, 2012 at 3:18 p.m.

Mike H

I don't know about guys ever getting a tip. It's probably happened at some point over the years, but we do very, VERY little residential. I'm sure we've never gotten one on a commercial job, aside from something like a box of Texas Toast or butchered chickens from a food service/mfr, or maybe some other sample good from the company...

But I almost always tip someone like a furniture delivery guy, carpet cleaner, etc, if they are friendly, represent their company well, have a possitive attitude and make sure we are happy with it before they leave. You can always tell it doesn't happen very often.

And yes, as long as they are friendly and courteous, I usually tip the counter person when I pick-up food/pizza etc. Even the girl that gets my icecream at the local creamery. Not what I would tip a waiter, but something. That must be exceptionally rare, because they are usually in shock.

October 3, 2012 at 6:29 p.m.

soldierboy

Our guys have gotten 6 tips this year. One was for $50.00 per person on a 5 man crew. When I was on a crew I probably averaged 2-3 tips per year. We never expect it. If a Homeowner is generous enough to give a tip it's for a reason. Either your guys have done above and beyond or have proven themselves far beyond what the homeowner's vision of a Roofer is.

October 2, 2012 at 2:55 p.m.

CIAK

Sometime , gratuity is overpricing the bid and or having material left over for repairs. Plus we don't have to worry about spoilage. Cept'n ourselves. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

October 1, 2012 at 4:54 p.m.

copperman

I got a Fig tree the other week.

October 1, 2012 at 8:12 a.m.

roofer54

I did a shingle job with my raggedy shoes on, I always wear them till they fall apart, when I finished the guy handed me some money and said get yourself a pair of shoes

September 30, 2012 at 10:49 p.m.

roofermike

Yeah, tips are few and even fewer for me . Usually the crew gets 'em. They dig it. Once in a while a customer will come out with Cuban coffee and pastelitos in the morning. Everyone likes appreciation.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 p.m.

egg

Guy comes up to you and your three helpers after a job. You ask him what's with the pitchfork? He says, stand real close together, I want to give each of you a tip.

We get tips sometimes, cold drinks sometimes, and it's nice. Nobody expects it which makes it somehow even nicer. Last week we got some incredible homemade pie. We often get fresh vegetables in the summer; people who grow their own usually have way too much produce and are glad to pass it on. That's a feel-good exchange.

When I was a waiter back in 1970, tips were essentially all we got for our effort. The wage back then was $1.65/hr. Typically it was 15% gratuity and I shared that at the end of the night with my bus help and the kitchen staff; we were all happy. I have a problem with 20%, especially if there is anything sketchy about the service.

Hang on a bit Sameer 'n Old School will be along to greet you. Around here, he's the one who gives all the tips. ;)

September 30, 2012 at 4:27 a.m.

sameermohan

Hi i am new in this forum

September 29, 2012 at 4:58 p.m.

clvr83

We had a guy buy a carton a smokes for every guy on the job and 1/5th of whiskey for us who didn't smoke. That was before the increase in cigarettes, shingles, and our personal labor rates.

My wife has 10 years experience as a waitress and still has a hard time deciding to add gratuity on checks larger than eight. If she doesn't, half the time she regrets it. Other times when she does grat the donkeys who are notorious for leaving a buck, she catches hell. I say plan on up to 20% when you go out, or cook it at home. However, negligent and lazy servers can eat pocket change as their punishment.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - Spring 2024 Promo With CertainTeed
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar