Roofers Coffee Shop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

How much do you make as a roofing company owner?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

forthright
January 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

wywoody

Forthright, if you want this to take off, you're gonna have to be forthright and tell us what you make first.

January 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

Webmaster Steve

All I can say WOW :S

January 23, 2010 at 11:37 am

Vaa Fakaosifolau

:dry:

It varies :silly:

January 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm

seen-it-all

How much do you make? Now I'm confused, here all along I thought it was about experience. Something like Survivor.

January 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm

GKRFG1

Kind of a nosy question really unless you are willing to start the ball rolling. I did find this site that shows a median number for owner compensation. It's from Remodeling magazine. It may help.

http://dp.storymaker-se.com/DaliDataProxy/x.aspx?cmd=query&id=bcmeta&exp=f2dd8d32-9b9a-4679-a4a8-79a1a1907b01&t=exp.htm

January 23, 2010 at 9:06 pm
January 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm

forthright

The reason I ask is, because I net between 40,000 to 120,000. I work storms in my state and I give bids. Recently, I have run into a group of salesmen for companies who don't give bids, but negotiate with insurance companies to get higher prices and the salesmen make as much as me or more.

Is it better to negotiate with the insurance companies instead of doing bids?

January 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm

fayetteroofing

I was trained by professional stormers and what they do is "eat deductibles" because they're too weak of salespeople to get the homeowner to cover it his or herself. How much profit do you think they're actually making after they've taken $1,000 or so off the insurance company's estimate?

Oh and by the way, when they say they "negotiate" with the insurance company, they're talking nonsense. It's sales speak so that the homeowner feels as though they're being taken care of. Most major insurance companies pull their prices from Exactimate software, and adjusters don't have authority to bump up the price per square. They sometimes can give you a little extra for flashing or waste if you're sweet and set a ladder up for them, but beyond that, no dice.

If you want to get a lot of contracts fast and make what you can, then go for the insurance contracts and gobble up those deductibles.. But it seems that once you take that road, it's all about quantity, not quality.. You still have to think about whether or not you're going to charge for upgrades to better shingles, ridge vent, etc.. Cuz insurance company won't cover any of that.

January 24, 2010 at 1:26 am

OLE Willie

Hi, Ive been at this for some 25 years now and I have tried every thing imaginable as far as the residential area is concerned. I have worked anywhere from just 2 guys to 8 crews. I've done all sales myself and I've had multiple salesmen ( and 1 saleswoman ). I have done all my own work and subbed it all out. I have paid and worked by the hour, the day, the week, the square and you name it. I've ran myself ragged chasing insurance jobs and I've told insurance companies to take it up with their customer and if either or both need my services thereafter let me know. I've lowered my price to get a job and I've raised my price because i didn't really want the job. ( got a lot of those anyways ) lol All that said i think i know where you are coming from with your question. I have heard of these unbelievable commissions for selling roofs. You would never get that kind of money from a local company. Only the stormers. And its always temporary. Sometimes you will get ripped off. Its amazing that some guys can make more than i do at times just writing quotes and nothing else. With all that a hands on owner/operator has to do and be responsible for that sucks when you think about it in one light. However, in the brighter light, as long as i take care of my business it should take care of me. At least that has been the case for some 15 years now. When the stormers leave what then? Follow them across the country? I tried that road too and it wasn't for me. I roofed for 10 years in 14 different states before i ever settled down and began to accumulate anything of real value or even have a real way of life. To make a long story short, ( if its not too late for that already ) what i "make" is a good living and what i have is a good life and a good future. Can the stormers or their salesmen honestly say all three of those things?

January 24, 2010 at 2:12 am

egg

How much...hmmm....right now or in general or for what type of operation or since 1974? When they put out the call for business models I went right down. In the beginning they told me I was old-fashioned, but as the years rolled by they eventually told me I was just too old. 'Course I never listened. Kind of reminded me of that old StarKist Charlie the Tuna ad. “Sorry Charlie®. StarKist doesn't want tuna with good taste, StarKist wants tuna that tastes good.” I'd have to say that how much I make is a function of how much I do, how efficient I am, how many smarts I can pony up, how much of my own capital gets tied up, how well I treat others, how much respect I earn from my clients, who I do business with, and how promptly I get paid. I must have left something out, but it's late.

January 24, 2010 at 7:24 am

wywoody

Because I'm a man of humble means, yet one that believes taking on risk and responsibility should be rewarded, I think I'm worth double what the 90 percentile rate for roofers is in my market. That's what I price things to net. Some jobs don't reach the goal, a few exceed it.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/2008/may/oes472181.htm#ind

January 24, 2010 at 11:06 am

forthright

Thanks for the information. Well these storm chaser salesmen say they make people pay their deductibles. If I decided to hire one of these guys what is a fair commission to pay them?

January 24, 2010 at 9:17 pm

twill59

woody--- that explains why Minnesota Insurance pays so much more.

January 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Old School

Wow! I am not an owner, but I make union scale when I work. $25.00 an hour plus benefits! Then it makes a difference how many hours I get! How much do you make?

January 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Old School

Boy, that shut down that thread in a hurry!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Duro-Last - Banner Ad - Specialty Membrane 2019 Winner
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

S-5! - Sidebar Ad - Free Wind Webinars
NWIR - Sidebar Ad - Careers Available
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Bring Owens Corning to your Website
Wil-Mar - Sidebar Ad - I Got My Wil-Mar Pipe Collar!
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - Sustainable Roofing Webinar - RLW On Demand

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

NWIR - Sidebar Ad - Careers Available
Cotney Consulting - 20 -minute Consultation
Construction Solutions - Sidebar Ad - Answer Me This
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad- White Paper Blue ad
SRS Distribution - Sidebar Ad - One Family, One Fight Promotion (1)